Tuesday, March 26, 2019

OMG -- Good Fortune at last

The reworked corner + a peek at the backing

My One Monthly Goal for March was to rework the outer border on Good Fortune, the Quiltville 2018 mystery quilt.   The first three borders fit fine but each outer border was 3" short.  My first attempt to fix them -- inserting a chunk of blue on each end of each border -- was clunky.  I took the borders off, pressed them well and measured them carefully.  I still needed inserts and chose orange.  All went together.

I took the quilt to Barb, the LAQ (long-arm quilter).  When I picked it up yesterday she showed me where I'd gone wrong.  "But I measured!" I said.  She said I should have measured the assembled blocks first, then measured after attaching each border.  The error began between borders #1 and #2.  All the seams made them grow.  Nonetheless, Barb was miraculously able to tame the wavy outer border and it looks just fine.

I attached the binding last evening and will affix the label today.  This is the 2019 AAUW spring raffle quilt. I hope the proceeds will bring Good Fortune for AAUW's efforts for equity for women and girls.

See what other quiltmakers have accomplished this month at the OMG linkup at Elm Street Quilts.

11 comments:

  1. I had issues with all the tiny borders also. When pieces are that small and fidgety it's easy have them off a bit. Your quilt turned out great! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good fix! I'm still fiddling with the borders on Celtic Solstice. Every time I think I have it worked out it still doesn't fit. I recently found some extra blocks; maybe that was the problem ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt, I love the colours. Nobody will ever guess that the borders have been 'fixed' it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good decision to change from the solid blue to the lighter half square triangle block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautiful finish any way you look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt, Nann! I’m going to finish up my Good Fortune sometime in the next quarter. It’s good to know that I’m not the only one who has occasional issues with borders!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your finish. I enjoy pieced borders but they can be fiddly.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.