Sunday, March 24, 2019

Weekly update: orchids, two finishes, and more scrappy blocks

The week began with a visit to the orchid show at Chicago Botanic Garden .  It's become so popular that it now opens in mid-February and ends at the end of March. We know better than to try to visit on weekends -- far too crowded!  The library offers half-price admission passes and I made sure to get one. 





It is impossible to take a bad photo of an orchid.
















We checked out a wheelchair at the guest services desk. It made navigation much easier. The exhibit hall and greenhouse are a considerable distance from the visitor center.










 # # # # # # # #

In the studio:  I finished quilting Red Rails 5.  I did straight lines through the centers of the units.  The backing is a floral sheet from Salvation Army.

I made this table runner as the Zion Woman's Club's door prize contribution for the 2019 GFWC-IL convention.  The design, by Jodie Davis, was published in a Fons & Porter leaflet circa 2013.  It's all batik, 14 x 34.







Once I get batiks out it's hard to put them away.  These scrappy blocks are 9.5".   After I took the photo I made four more.


But this week I need to get to work on the third of the ALA Biblioquilters quilts.  All the contributed blocks have arrived. I have a few more to make before I can assemble them.


Linking up with
 Oh, Scrap!
Monday Making (Table Mats)
 Design Wall Monday
 Moving It Forward





P.S
. The equinoctal moon on Thursday morning.

10 comments:

  1. I love to see orchids but too timid to try to raise them. I worked with a lady who had them in her office and we only watered them once a week so how hard can it be??? The moon has been waking me for over a week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful orchids...cherry trees just starting to pop here so another week and it'll be all cotton candy! love the ALA quilt...pattern is where please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The churn dash pattern is by Amy Ellis in the Martingale anthology "I Love Churn Dashes."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like that the Spring has brought a lot of beauty and color both inside and out. Those scrappy batik blocks are beautiful and much fun to make, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally ! Spring seemto be on the way. The churn dash blocks are going to make a pretty quilt. It’s one of my favorite blocks. The batiks are going to make a pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful orchids. Love your scrappy batik blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pic of the sign for the orchid show "In the Tropics." I am guessing in March, your area would not seem tropics-like at all. It must have been nice to see all the tropical orchids blooming away. I am a big fan of churn dash blocks. Some day I'll make another churn dash block.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The orchids are indeed beautiful - as are your blue skies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, those orchids are gorgeous! So is the table runner. Lots of progress on some beautiful and bright projects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love orchids! I have two in bloom at my desk at work and one more starting to bloom at home.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.