Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Welcome, 2019: the Annual Reckoning

Vintage greeting card from my collection 
2018 was the 21st year I have tracked fabric in and out.  (My definitions:"in" is acquired, whether bought or received as a gift or won; "out" is sewn, sold, given away, or otherwise disposed of.  I usually measure the square inches in units or blocks -- 1512 sq. in. per yard -- but sometimes I use a postal scale and go by weight -- 4 yards to a pound.) 

Here is the reckoning in black and white.
I received two significant windfalls.  In October a local crafter gave me fabric she no longer wanted.  I kept 198 yards of that and gave 150 to the guild's charity committee.  In December I got 272 yards via a former guild member who got the fabric from the family of a woman who had a stroke and can no longer quilt.  I also got good deals at estate sales and bargains at thrift shops. And, yes, I bought new fabric.
BUT 
I used a lot, too!  The "Flimsy Completion" tab shows that I completed 32 projects this year.  That included 18 quilts, 8 tote bags, 30 mug rugs, 8 runners/wall hangings, 10 hot pads.  I added 6 flimsies to the box.
AND
I filled 10 jumbo ziploc bags with fabric for the January 2 Raffle Mania at the guild meeting.  A jumbo bag holds 5 lbs. which is 20 yards -- so that's 200 yards OUT.  I'm counting it for 2018 because (a) my game, my rules and (b) I sorted and bagged it all in 2018.

What's in store for 2019? 
To say "use more than I acquire" is a perpetual goal, like "lose 30 pounds." Maybe this year I will accomplish both.   More specifically:
(1)  Download EQ 8 and learn to use it.  I've had EQ since v. 4 but I haven't used it very much.
(2)  Learn how to do ruler work. (I used some of DH's Christmas gift to order Westalee Rulers and an instruction book.)
(3)  Make something that has a zipper and buttonholes.   I've had my new machine for almost a year but I haven't tried either of these basic sewing features.
(4)   Make a garment.  I still have boxes of fashion fabric. I have patterns.  I know what a 5/8" seam looks like.
(5)   Participate in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, One Monthly Goal, and Block Lotto.
(6)   Have fun!

Thanks for reading my posts and taking time to comment. I look forward to hearing from you in 2019.

11 comments:

  1. The Rainbow Scrap Challenge sounds interesting. Is it a guild project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hunting me down and providing the info. Sounds very interesting, I may try it next year! avw741@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. You do a great job finding bargains and fabric at great prices! Looks like a good list of goals. I wish you the best on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it took some doing (and many a false start), but thanks to my desire to make a silly comment on your blog I finally figured out why Firefox was blocking all my attempts (due to several laptop crashes in a short time span, Firefox had reset itself and added some "improvements" while doing so). Starting this old dog's new year with learning new tricks!

    Hardly worth the time/effort to repeat the stupid comment, but dammit, I worked too hard for it! So here it was:

    "Here is the reckoning in black and white."

    My pre-first-sip-of-coffee thought was "That's a LOT of black and white fabric. I wonder what the numbers were for all your colored fabrics."

    Hope the new year brings us all good news, health, and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It's Nann, so you know it will be considerable.

      Delete
  4. I’m am so amazed at your numbers. I have gotten two different groups of fabric from friend and an estate. I don’t enter them in my numbers nor do I show them used. I really didn’t want huge intakes with not that much going out. Most of those fabrics are used specifically for donation projects. I love your prices. I got 15 or so yards of fabric as Christmas fabric so I have brought enough new fabric in until I use some? I’ll be figuring my fabric usage soon. It will be big because of Jamestown Landing. Yeehaw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Santa brought me the Janome ruler set (a Westerlee designed set) and a book. I am looking forward to no mark clamshells.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading "cbott"'s comments about the reckoning might explain why your email to qvchat went into my spam filter. Also have Firefox which lately has become a pain! Why do these people think they are "improving"? Did they ask us if it needed to be changed/improved? Wow Nann I think it is amazing that you can keep such good records of your fabrics and projects. It was a very interesting read!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.