Sunday, December 30, 2018

Weekly update: somewhat biased, Good Fortune, something old, something new

I hope you and those you love had a merry Christmas.  We did -- candlelight service at 5 p.m. Monday, Christmas Day brunch at M.G.'s house with mutual friends.  I spent some of DH's generous Christmas check on fabric but still have enough to indulge at post-holiday sales (not just fabric but at other stores).  The weather has been relatively mild and snow-less.  The winner of the AAUW holiday raffle quilt couldn't attend the luncheon. When I offered to deliver the quilt to her she invited me to brunch on Friday. We had a lovely visit.

Somewhat biased:  I love homespun plaids but I admit that the 50+ yards I got from the quilter's estate early in December filled the shelves. (There's another shelf with larger lengths besides this unit.)

What could I do but make another quilt?  The nine-patches began with 2" strips and squares and are 4.5" finished.  There are several different homespuns in the hourglass units, though they're all similarly-colored.

The side setting triangles are actually half-hourglasses (two quarter triangles each). And that's where the bias
comes in.  Though I didn't over-handle those edges, they stretched just enough that the borders are rippled in a couple of places.  I decided that I will fix that when I get around to quilting it.  The flimsy is 66 x 74 and used 6-1/2 yards.

BTW, I weighed all the homespun: 60 lbs. That's 240 yards!





Good Fortune:  Clue 6 was easy!   

















Something old:  quite a while I ago I sewed a bunch of  30's repros into bow ties.  I got them out and made some more.  I auditioned two possible settings but now I'm considering a third.  Stay tuned!












Something new:   a new round robin will start at the January 2 guild meeting. Here's my starter block.  I repurposed a library conference tote bag to hold my entry.









I will post the annual reckoning and my 2019 goals on New Year's Day.   Meanwhile, here are the Monday link ups:

Oh Scrap!
 Monday Making
Design Wall Monday
and
  Quiltville Mystery Monday








10 comments:

  1. Love those bowtie layouts. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for option three. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see your projects. I am glad someone likes Homespun and makes beautiful projects with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You put together a complete quilt top since you got those fabrics?!?! A fine quilt top, it is. LOVE the little bird block that you used to decorate your tote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your stackable organizers for the Good Fortune mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your homespun project is beautiful! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great bow ties! Never have done a round robin.
    great nine patches too bad about the borders, but you can ease them in.
    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Round Robin Bag. A weekly quilt group that I belong to has been making round robin baby quilts for a charity we support. I've lost count of the number of times one of us has lost track of who has which quilt to work on. I see something like this in our future. At least we'd know which bag to look for when hunting down our projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Somewhat biased is gorgeous! Love the bowties project too. Happy stitching in this new year.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.