Friday, December 7, 2018

What's in the box? Hankies!


The box has a nifty picture, too.
Dorothy gave me a box of hankies  at the AAUW board meeting last evening. She explained that they came from the estate of a friend who had recently passed away.   There were more hankies that she'd kept. (And she and her husband got the friend's cat (who has settled in nicely to its new home).) 

It's a good thing I didn't open the box until I got home. Had I opened it during the meeting the agenda would have stopped then and there. (Not a good thing, because I was presiding.)



Oh, what treasures!

Many of the hankies had never been used -- as in never laundered, always refolded along the same creases. They had the manufacturer's labels in the corners. Two had the original price stickers.








Marshall Field Centennial, 1952, showing a map of downtown Chicago.
(My mother was the secretary to the MF&Co. v.p. of suburban stores. She left to have me.) 





Tammis Keefe with sticker (it's in the upper left corner.) I love her designs!



 Carson Pirie Scott price tag ($ .39)   A lucky four-leaf clover for me!


 MF&Co. price tag: $. 50.



Love these colors!












 I knew this was Bermuda before I unfolded it.  I recognized the picture of St. Peter's. (We went to Bermuda in February, 2008.)








I'll conclude the show with a mid-century Christmas greeting by Carl Tait.

8 comments:

  1. Just seeing the Bavarian Folk Dancers on the box would've had me squeeing with delight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love hankies, and you have some stellar collectibles there. Plus, they’re beautiful. Enjoy!! I collect(ed) hankies, but had to stop acquiring when I got over too-many-hundred, LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nann! Thanks for sharing these pictures with us. What treasures you have there. I love the Tammis Keefe. I have a couple of her tablecloths and a scarf from my mother-in-law's possessions :) When I did researh on her, I learned that she was the companion of Jane Trahey, who wrote "Life with Mother Superior," "The Trouble with Angels," and "Pecked to Death by Goslings," three of the funniest books ever! I'm sure you know all of this as our resident librarian :) Anyway, enjoy these treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are lovely, I especially like the one with the map.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are wonderful and such a thoughtful gift! congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What amazing hankies! wow they are so so fun. Love the Christmas hankie but the Marshall Fields hankie brings back so many memories.
    I lived and worked in CHicago and went to MF for lunch and to shop. I worked at the Prudential building so it was just a few blocks away. In the early 80s they still have a fabric department in the lower level where I bought sewing supplies.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.