Sunday, December 2, 2018

Weekly update: stash report, OMG, and Good Fortune

Fabric in, November:  118 yards, $215 (average $1.82)
Fabric out, November:  33-5/8
Fabric in, YTD:  580-3/8, $1191 (average $2.05)
Fabric out,YTD:  513-5/8
Net increase:  66-3/4
As I've said, if I can't keep myself from acquiring fabric at least I can get bargains! This month I scored big at an estate sale and another quilter's destash.

# # # # # # #
It was easy to determine my One Monthly Goal for December:  a bookshelf quilt for a library staff member who's retiring. Her party is December 19.

So far I've pulled the novelty scraps boxes off the shelf.
Novelty stash


Since 2003 I've made forty-plus bookshelf quilts using a pattern by Christine Thresh (winnowing.com). I know there are many other bookshelf designs but by using the same pattern I've created a series.  Locally the bookshelves are for coworkers getting their MLS degrees, coworkers who are retiring, and for trustees completing their board terms. I've made them for my two longtime ALA conference roommates when they retired and for the ALA Executive Board members during the three years I was on EB.  In 2005 the ALA Biblioquilters created a group quilt using this pattern. It hung in the foyer of the ALA Washington Office for many years.

# # # # # # # # # #







Here's Clue 2 for Good Fortune, the Quiltville mystery.












I made 90 sixteen-patch blocks. At this writing I have half the rows assembled. I could tweak the block arrangement forever so I'm not going to! The blocks are 6-1/2" so the top will be 54 x 60.



Linking up with
Quiltville Mystery Monday
Elm Street Quilts OMG
Oh Scrap!
Monday Making
Design Wall Monday
Moving It Forward 

12 comments:

  1. I've never made a bookcase quilt although I think they are wonderful. Just love your 16=patch, don't rearrange as I think it just flows as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bookcase quilt is also on my list of "want-to-makes". I like your arrangement of 16-patches; the different shades of grey give a shadowy effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGoodness, I had to search your blog for more bookcase quilts and you did not disappoint! You have made so many wonderful quilts! Love the 16 patch and your Good Fortune HSTs. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check it out! You’re knee deep in scraps, too! I love your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You've made lots of bookshelf quilts and for so many good reasons. I really like your little bitty 16 patch blocks. And, boy, are you right when you say you can tweet if forever. It looks great to me. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving that sixteen block quilt. Those spots of color really looks cool. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not that big a fan of 16-Patch blocks, but I think I'm in LOVE with your quilt-in-progress!!! Something about those grays with the random pops of color speak to me. Can't wait to see this one completed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a champ at finding great prices on fabric, but that's certainly a lot of fabric. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bookshelf quilt is a great idea. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are certainly the queen of bargain fabric.
    Did I read that right? Forty plus bookshelf quilts? Whew. But what a neat gift.
    And there's just something about a sixteen patch that makes me wanting to make that particular quilt over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving watching everyone joining in on Good Fortune with Bonnie Hunter. So fun to watch the progress. Your 16-patch quilt is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you have a full slate in the sewing room. The 16 patch quilt is coming together beautifully. I'm looking forward to checking out Bonnie's clue three today. Happy Stitching.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.