Monday, December 10, 2018

Weekly update: Good Fortune and holiday flings about, out, and mostly in

Here's as much of Good Fortune Clue #3 as I was able to complete this weekend.  In the directions Bonnie cautioned to sew and press accurately in order to make the 2" bonus HSTs.  Using that method means that the units have very narrow seam allowances but it also means you don't have to make a separate set of HSTs.







Flinging about -- it was a week of holiday parties.   Monday: P.E.O. potluck and seasonal sock exchange.  Tuesday:  Zion Woman's Club holiday meeting (with a white elephant exchange).   Wednesday: Quilt Guild holiday dinner. We had an ornament exchange, a fat quarter exchange, and a White Elephant exchange.

Somehow I have become the "passing game" chairman.  At each of the events I read "Twas the Night RIGHT Before Christmas." There were rights and lefts aplenty in the poem to mix up the gift-passing.

Cardinals in the Pines 
The AAUW holiday luncheon was Saturday. No passing game, but a very productive silent auction, selling no-longer-loved stuff to one another ($517).  We had the drawing for the raffle quilt that I contribute each year ($335).  (Those along with proceeds from other fundraisers netted $2622 for AAUW Funds.)  Contributions to our local scholarship fund, for which I made the mug rugs ,were $1045 which exceeded what I offered to match. That means that our scholarships are fully funded!




Saturday evening Stevens and I enjoyed the Lake County Symphony Orchestra concert.  Master dulcimer player Charles Brown composed a piece specificially for the orchestra. Our seats were perfect to see Brown's hands as he played. Wow!









Sunday afternoon the Zion Woman's Club hosted a holiday tea at Shiloh House which was beautifully decorated for Christmas.  The tea was a benefit for Zion-Benton Children's Services. That agency provides dental care for children from low-income families.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

I flung more than white elephants this week!

I sent four quilts to Robert Kaufman Co. in Los Angeles. They are collecting quilts to give to the victims of the California fires. 
If you read the post right before this you saw the vintage hankies that were flung to me on Thursday.

The biggest fling was totally unexpected.  On Saturday afternoon I'd just gotten home from the AAUW luncheon. I got a message that fabric had been donated to the guild and could be picked up at the township center before 4 p.m. (It was the guild's UFO workshop day.)  Why not?  I arrived at 3:45. Shar explained that she'd been contacted by the family of a woman who'd been a prolific quilter. The woman had a stroke and moved to a nursing home. Her stash had to go and our guild got it.  Some guild members had taken some things but there was a lot left.  I said I didn't want to be greedy, but I'd make it all disappear. Shar was relieved. She did not want to take it home.


Left:  30+ books, mostly early 2000's, some that I've had, some new-to-me. (And one that I'd recently purchased after tracking it down on Amazon!)

 Right:  patterns, a few notions, and kits.

THE FABRIC! ! ! !  The stack on the right is all homespuns.  The bags on the top are filled with fat quarters.  There were four ecru FQs that I can put to use right away in Good Fortune.  Mostly browns and golds, very rich tones.  I weighed it.  68 pounds.  That's 272 yards!  Good Fortune, indeed.


All I want to do now is fold, refold, and file -- but first  I have to make the bookshelf quilt. The recipient's retirement party is December 19.


Monday link ups:
  Quiltville Mystery Monday
Monday Making
 Oh Scrap
Moving It Forward
Design Wall Monday

11 comments:

  1. Wow Nann, you are a busy, busy lady. What a score on the fabric. Your cardinals in the pines picture is beautiful. I managed to get all of my part 3 done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots to share this week Nann.Lots of good fortune indeed. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I thought I was busy! I know you'll find good things to do with your recent acquisitions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very fun and busy cutting table- I'm so glad you rescued the fabric. I would hate for it to have nowhere to go for CHristmas

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly have a LOT of parties to attend. Those mug rugs you made for the AAUW luncheon were SEW cute!! Such a lovely selection of fabrics that you acquired. Happy quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did well on clue 3 considering all the social obligations. Enjoy the holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad that the fabric found a home where it will be appreciated and used, eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow -- quite the intake of fabric for you! And are you through with White Elephants for the time being? I actually got a white elephant at one of the ones I went to last week. I thought it was so cute and clever that I used him along with some christmas fabric for a guild white elephant the next day. I am so not into adding cute little things to the house. Or at least I am trying not to! Hope to see your book shelf quilt done soon...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness.. fortune is smiling on you for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a busy week you had. How good to hear the scholarships are completely funded. I've sent quilts to Paradise, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My goodness you have indeed had Good Fortune! 272yards is quite a pile of fabric! You’ll put it to good use!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.