Sunday, November 25, 2018

Weekly update: gratitude, mug rugs, and Good Fortune

I'm composing this post Sunday night as a blizzard howls.  My sympathy goes to all the travelers whose flights were canceled or postponed, and to everyone who faced driving back home or back to college this afternoon -- but I'm glad we don't have to go anywhere until a dentist appointment at noon tomorrow.

Pepto-Bismol pink!
We enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner at a friend's house here in town.  I contributed Susan Stamberg's mother-in-law's cranberry relish.  (Here is this year's presentation of the recipe.)   Our hostess and the other guests liked it.   I bought a turkey for us and roasted it on Thursday so our house smelled wonderful and we will have lots of turkey to enjoy.

 Our favorite produce stand closed for the season this weekend. We bought more apples and some of the last from their gardens: beets and turnips.


# # # # # # # # # # #
I made 20 mug rugs. These will be thank you gifts for those who donate to our AAUW local scholarship fund.  The $500 scholarships are for girls graduating from area high schools who plan to major in STEM fields.

They're all Christmas-themed because they'll be given at the December 8 holiday luncheon. 20 should be sufficient, but I'd be happy if I had to make more!

There are four trees, four stars, and two of each of the others. IMPORTANT NOTE:  I did not use binding! Instead I sewed them pillow-style (right sides together, sew around the edge, turn them right side out). Much, much quicker than applying binding.

# # # # # # # # # # # #





Here is Clue 1 of Good Fortune, the Quiltville mystery.  I made half the number of units because I'm going to shoot for half the blocks. I don't want to knock myself out this season.









I watched a recorded episode of Love of Quilting just in time to learn a good technique to cut strip sets accurately.  Here is a quick tutorial.


Four strip sets.




Stagger them as you stack them. That way the seams nest and the stack is the same height.


Square off the end. Cut the appropriate width.


Try it! It works.



# # # # # # # # # # #
Our guild is making pillowcases as a holiday charity project.  I took six kits (already cut to size). Sewing them was a snap. I'll turn them in at the December holiday party.





# # # # # # # # # # #

I made eight black/white 16-patches before I went improv to make the scrappy blocks I showed last week.  I made a few more and I'm contemplating what they'll become.   (2" strips so blocks are 6-1/2" unf.)

That scrappy b/w is now under the needle. The pieced backing took longer to audition than the block arrangement did!


Monday link ups:
Quiltville Mystery Monday
 Oh Scrap!
Monday Making
 Design Wall Monday
 Moving It Forward



10 comments:

  1. Lots going on at your place. We saw the blizzard pictures on the news. I'm so glad we didn't go visit our friends in Michigan this year! Love your little mug rugs. I'm thinking of making some for Christmas presents this year. I would use the embroidery machine to come up with cute pics and then just finish them. It's more to get use out of the embroidery machine than anything else. Thanks for the tip to cut multiple strip sets at the same time. I need to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that cranberry relish but not so for the crew! You have been really busy, again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say you were stitching up a storm, but I won't after all. Oh, wait...
    Those mug rugs look like a labor of love! What a lovely thank you for those (in a very good cause) donations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are sure some cute mug rugs! Winter Storm Bruce whipped by here last night too. Thankfully there were no power outages out here in the boondocks. My husband loves cranberry relish but the rest of family not so much so I don't make it anymore. Our Thanksgiving dinner was made from a lot of our garden harvests - potatoes, squash, broccoli, pumpkin, pickles, pickled beets...

    Lots of good stuff always going on at your place! I can't believe how quickly you work through quilts start to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to stack up those strip sets. Thanks for sharing this tip with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all those mug rugs! And your 16 patches are going to make a fabulous quilt. Thanks for sharing with Moving it Forward!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's an efficient way to cut strip sets. Wish I'd known that tip before I made all my 4-patches! But I will keep it in mind for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just watched an episode of The Quilt Show with Eleanor Burns and she demonstrated this method of cutting strip sets. Great job on your mug rugs and the gray quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm impressed with your STEM scholarship fund, the thank you mug rugs are fun. Bonnie's quilts are always so big, I'm doing a smaller version too.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.