Monday, June 18, 2018

Weekly update: lobsters, spoon rests, and postage stamps


 On Saturday afternoon we joined Chicago-area Bowdoin alumni for the annual Lobster Bash.  Incoming students and their parents are invited--this year that's the class of 2022,born in 2000. That's a demographic milestone.

Stevens ('62) was the oldest alum -- another milestone.

 Bill ('65) and Carolyn have been the hosts for 40 years at their beautiful home in the northwest suburbs. This was their last year.  There was talk that it will be held at Lincoln Park -- more convenient for young alumni and families, but it won't be the same.
Class of '22 and Class of '62

Alumni rep, Bill, Carolyn 
 Many of the first-years have never eaten lobster.  Since they're going to college in Maine they need to learn!









Bowdoin loyalty! 













# # # # # # # #

It's good to have something specific to look for at rummage sales and thrift shops.  Lately my quest has been for spoon holders.  I learned about them when an AAUW friend used hers when she hosted a meeting. I found a pair at Salvation Army (.99 each).   On Saturday I got another pair at a garage sale.  $2 each was more than than I'd usually pay but another friend has been looking for them and I can take these to her when we have a committee meeting tomorrow.









# # # # # # # # #
I finished the nine-in-nine patch postage stamp blocks.  (81 x 30 = 2,430 plus the cornerstones.) I not only used up a berry-box full of 1.5" white/cream squares but I also had to cut more.  However, I didn't need to add to the multi-color 1.5" postage stamp box.

I auditioned gray/white and black/white sashing but they detracted from the sparkly blocks.

I hope to get the flimsy assembled before I leave for ALA in New Orleans on Wednesday.

Monday linkups:
Oh, Scrap!
Monday Making
Design Wall Monday








15 comments:

  1. Your postage stamp quilt is lovely! What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful...looking forward to seeing it all assembled

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that I've ever seen spoon holders. Great to have for buffet service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the sashing looks wonderful, the quilt does sparkle!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great reason to have lobster! I love it myself.... Your postage stamp quilt is amazing. I, too, like the white, sparkly sashing. Will it be finished next week?? You do work faster than me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your postage stamp quilt, it is finishing so nicely. I grew up middle class midwestern, and never had a lobster until I was in Maine. The Maine lobsters are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your postage stamp blocks are a great way to use up those small bits. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your postage stamp quilt is wonderful. It must be so much fun to look at all the different fabrics in the blocks and travel down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love your postage stamp blocks! And it would be fun to have a collection of spoon holders.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess I'm going to be looking for spoon holders! :)
    Love those postage stamp blocks. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a lot of fun. I didn't think about this year's incoming class being born in 2000. Oh wow, now I feel really, really old. Love your postage stamp blocks. Hope you get them finished before your trip.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.