Monday, December 25, 2017

Change in Christmas plans: time to sew!

The plan was to fly to Jacksonville this past Wednesday.  We were going to rent a car and drive to  Tybee Island. On Friday we'd go to Savannah to begin a Road Scholar course. On December 27 we'd head south to Jekyll Island for another RS course over New Year's. Home again January 3.
Alpha Gam squirrel and Bowdoin polar bear 

It didn't turn out that way.  My husband came down with the flu. He was miserable on Tuesday and he'd be in no shape to fly on Wednesday.  I thought about going by myself. I thought about waiting until Thursday and if he was better we'd drive. I thought about waiting until the weekend and driving just for the Jekyll Island trip.  No, none of those would work.  So I called all the places we'd made reservations to cancel them. We had to forfeit 50% of the Road Scholar fee and the deposit for the Tybee hotel.  We can rebook the airline tickets.

I channeled the energy of my disappointment just as you'd expect:  a little shopping, a lot of sewing.

Most of my nutcracker collection has been acquired at TJ Maxx or Marshalls.  I went to several stores this year and didn't find any. I was delighted to find this guy at an antiques mall this week.  Tag price was $110 but the dealer had a 50% off sale and I bargained it down some more. The label says "made in German Democratic Republic" so it's pre-1990.







I have finished all the units for all the clues of On Ringo Lake. I predict that the next step is block assembly.


Find the weekly ORL linkup at Quiltville
here !






The Stashbusters are having an Irish Chain Challenge.  The challenges for me were to select one chain design and the fabrics.  I see chain ideas all over the place!  As the Moda Blockheads nears the end (12/20 was block #42 out of 48) I've been considering ways to set my homespun-and-neutral blocks.  Why not combine them with chains?  Here's the rough draft. 









The guild challenge quilts are due in March. This year it's "quilt your initials" -- the block name is one initial and the colors are two initials. Mine are NEBH so I am making New York Beauty in Eggplant and Blue.   

These NYB blocks will be 6".  I'm going to make a bunch of arc units and then choose fabric for the other pieces. (That's a lesson I learned with Stars in Her Crown, the NYB I made two years ago.)



Friends have invited us for brunch today.  I'll cook the Roast Beast for supper.  Merry Christmas to all!











8 comments:

  1. I know you are disappointed in the change of plans, but sounds like you're making the best of it. Hope your DH feels better soon. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your idea of combining the IC and moda blockheads...and roast beast??? drooling here....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like the eggplant and blue. The Irish Chain Challenge looks complicated but extremely creative. Good luck finding other nutcrackers in the after-Christmas sales. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry hubby is under the weather, hope he's better soon. Looks like you made good use of your changed plans. I love your parts and pieces all together. LOVE your NYB colors! It's going to be stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my! I do hope your husband is well on the road to recovery by now. You certainly have a way for turning lemons into the sweetest lemonade; well done on your sewing projects! The Irish Chain setting for the Block Heads Block is made to order; I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Nann, What a wonderful idea to combine your homespun and neutral blocks with the chains ! You're very resourceful, as well as being very organized.😊 The rough draft of that quilt looks great. Also, we hope your husband is feeling very much better, very soon. Blessings to you, from Marina and Daryl Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry the flu came to visit for the holiday and ruined your plans. Hopefully your guy is feeling much better now. A new clue tomorrow, I'm hoping for some block assembly too.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.