Sunday, November 26, 2017

Weekly update: lots of nine-patches and ORL, part 1


Stalled (1/4 of the center quilted)
On Monday I began to quilt the baby quilt I posted last week.  My trusty Pfaff quit working -- the belt kept slipping.  I took it to the shop. The repairman was on vacation so it will be a while until it's fixed.  I pulled out Sweetness, the Singer 301.  After a couple of drops of oil it purred smoothly. I'm not confident about FMQing with it but I can certainly use it for piecing.

And piece I did!

Here's Clue #1 of On Ringo Lake, the new Quiltville mystery.

These nine-patches were quick to make. I'm quite sure that subsequent units will be more involved.







The Block Swappers exchange 3.5" nine-patches three or four times a year.  Each swap yields 60 nine-patches.  I'm always on the alert for interesting ways to set these cute blocks.

Here are the nine-patch variation blocks I wrote about a couple of weeks ago.  After I began sewing the sashing to the blocks I realized I won't have enough to sash all of them. I will either make a smaller quilt or improvise.











I found another block that incorporates the mini-nines.  It's by Sherri Bain Driver and was published in McCall's Quilter's Workshop, a 2011 special edition.  I took photos of a block in progress so you can see how it's put together.


Four 2-5/8" squares, two dark and one light 3-3/8" squares, and a 3.5" nine-patch.













Pieces laid out.

Sections sewn together.

If you try this, let me know!

Meanwhile, I'm adding Quiltville to the Monday link up line-up that includes
Oh, Scrap!
Monday Making
Design Wall Monday
Main Crush Monday

15 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing your OMG for November. I can't even remember what I put down! Things have been busy here and getting busier. I like how you "starred" up those little 9 patches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those nine patch blocks with the striped sashing. I wish I had that fabric to share with you. Thanks for sharing all your lovely projects with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for using the 9Ps if I decide not to continue -- Oh, forgot to mention I made a few yesterday ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some fun and colorful blocks on your design wall. Thanks for the photos of your nine patch star.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The striped sashing looks great with the blocks! I wouldn't have thought of that, but I guarantee I'll "borrow" your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your stars, they are darling! I am enjoying seeing everyone's nine-patches today too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving your ORL and those star blocks are beautiful. I guess I'm going to be adding another project to my list, cause I'm going to have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your nines, and the ideas for setting them! I'm really happy ORL started with nine-patches since they're one of my favorite blocks to make.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The clue this week DID seem a bit too easy to accomplish! I'm glad it was, though, it came at the end of a busy week. Next week will probably be 1000 snowballed squares! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your nine-patches are great, both the Ringo Lake and all the myriad other ones. You’ve got some great projects going!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your blocks! They are so cute! I had some of that stripe but alas it's long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you could put together the squares you have, then a narrow solid or geometric border....zebra print maybe? then add more of the fancy blocks....awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love those nine patch ideas! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've got some fun projects going. Those mini nine blocks are turning out beautifully. Hope your sewing machine comes home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that nine patch inside the star! What size does the block end up?

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.