Sunday, November 26, 2017

Weekly update: other than sewing

Thanksgiving was just the two of us, which suited us just fine this year.  The small turkey and the side dishes (roasted root vegetables, cornbread with whole-kernel corn and cheddar, the last of the fresh tomatoes, and the NPR-famous cranberry relish) provided us with enough leftovers.  Pumpkin pie for dessert, of course.

(The 2017 recital of the cranberry relish recipe is here .)





The weather was sunny and mild all weekend.  I took a walk along the beach.  (I also have a walking route in the neighborhood when I'm not inclined to get in the car and drive to the state park. We're a mile west of the lake as the crow flies but about 2 miles from the part of the park where I like to walk.)






On Saturday about 45 Girl Scouts and their leaders from area troops had a community service event with our church as the "headquarters."   Two Scouts, a mom/leader, and a little sister came to our house. Since the yard service had raked all the leaves earlier in the week, I put them to work inside polishing silver.  The girls had never done that before.  They (and mom) had fun reading the wording on the 19th-century souvenir spoons.  And the silver got pretty well polished.




3 comments:

  1. Cool helpers. Pat and I were alone too for T day. We had a very small dinner. Good and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super idea! We went to Son-1 who deep-fried the turkey. I was surprised at how moist it was. But inside the house was missing the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. quiet holidays can be nice too..i was home alone; cooked a small dinner with a few fave sides...was just good to be home in my own space after so long in hospital and away...

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.