Mid-morning I was halfway finished composing today's post when the power went out. The culprit was a downed wire. Those rechargeable lanterns I got a couple of months ago had lost their charge, I found out. Rather than stew in the semi-gloom I drove 30 miles to Half Day Forest Preserve and completed another Hike Lake County walk. On the way home ComEd sent the message that the power was back on. Whew! (And now I will find a place to keep those lanterns plugged in.)
Back to where I was . . .
It rained all weekend. No forest preserve walks for me, but I kept busy.
AAUW met in person Saturday morning. Linda Gratz talked about redlining, the systemic practice of denying mortgages to Black families, and how that affected her family. She grew up in a Chicago neighborhood as it was changing from majority-white (her Austrian-emigrant grandparents) to Black. I'll enjoy reading her award-winning memoir. (Redlining was across the U.S. The digitized maps are here: Mapping Inequality .)After the meeting I delivered two yearbooks to AAUW friends who couldn't attend the meeting, and had nice visits with both of them.
# # # # # #
I assembled the solid log cabin blocks. 78" x 90".
I pieced the backing (Barb M's estate sale once again) and basted it.
I spent most of Sunday afternoon and all of Sunday evening quilting it. I had to set up a card table to bear the weight of the quilt sandwich.
The finished quilt, the back, and a closeup of the quilting.
7 yards for the top and 5 yards for back and binding.
As I sewed I binge-watched Widow's Bay and the Marlow Murder Club. (I watched the American Masters documentary about poet Mary Oliver last week. I appreciate her poetry even more now.)
Linking up with Sew and Tell DWM at Judy's Oh Scrap! Monday Musings
No comments:
Post a Comment
I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.