The 22nd Great Wisconsin Quilt Show was at the Alliant Center in Madison September 10-12. It used to be called an expo, hence the quilt label that identifies the post. It's the eighth time I've attended and the second time I've stayed overnight.
By pleasant coincident both Anna and I arrived at the same time Thursday morning. We met at the entrance--we didn't even have to text. She stays at her brother's cabin. I had a motel reservation.
I was able to get tickets for two lectures.
I've known Jennifer Chiaverini since she wrote the first Elm Creek Quilts book. She talked about the latest installment in that series. I'm looking forward to the next stand-along historical novel, The Rational Dress Society. It will come out in 2027 and is about the dress reform movement in England in the late 19th century.
The incomparable Victoria Findlay Wolfe spoke at the very end of the day -- 6:00-7:30 p.m. I was really tired but her presentation was so lively that I perked up. Such creativity! Such inspiration!
"I make any kind of quilts that float my boat.....I sew fast. Make decisions quickly, sew, and move on....You have permission to make mistakes. You have permission to cut it up.....Don't copy my quilt! I already made it. Make it your own....In each quilt you make, think 'What can I do to make it different from what I've done before?'"
If you've been to a big quilt show you know what to expect! There are stunning quilts in all styles and colors. There are quilts you could conceivably make.** There is inspiration in every aisle.
I have artists' statements for nearly all of these if you want to know more.
Note the highland coos (cows) in the upper right.
** "Quilts you could conceivably make" because I made these!
There were special exhibits, too.
I checked into the motel (just 1-1/2 miles from the convention center) after Victoria's lecture. I had dinner at a Perkins next door.
I brought the Featherweight and did a little sewing, but not much. I was truly tired and got a good night's sleep.
I'd enjoyed all the quilts and I did a lot of shopping (evidence below). I got to see Anna and my QOV friend Karen.
I decided I didn't need to spend another night at the motel, so I checked out. Destination: Reedsburg, WI, 60 miles northwest of Madison, to see the International Crane Foundation.
As I drove through the Wisconsin countryside with verdant green and ripe-for-the-harvest golden fields under a blueblueblue sky I thought about that equally sunny mid-September morning in 2001. So much has changed in the world and in our society but the sun still comes up every day and the sky is still blue.
I've wanted to visit the ICF for years and now I finally have. It was established more than 50 years ago. All 15 species of cranes are on view in the very attractive and informative visitor's center and grounds. On the property, but not open to visitors, are laboratories and breeding barns.
I left Reedsburg at noon. When Anna and I met at the convention center entrance we chatted with a woman who works in a quilt shop in Brodhead, WI (east of Janesville). She said they carry current/new fabrics and that they stock closeouts and estate sale/major destash fabric.
Here's the combination of quilt show and church basement purchases. I shopped with a purpose: lime green and bright purple. Some other gems caught my eye. I'll have such fun playing!
Thanks for reading all the way to the end. Linking up with Oh Scrap! Sew and Tell Monday Musings Design Wall Monday
Sounds like a great weekend trip, Nann! So much quilt inspiration - almost overwhelmingly so. Congratulations on having your own quilts displayed, too!
ReplyDeleteThat is such a cute photo of you and Anna holding giant sewing items, Nann!!! I've read Jennifer's books ever since book 1, also. Great quotes from Victoria--love those ideas!!! Ohh, so fun that you had 2 quilts on display!!! I enjoyed all your quilt photos, of course, and the natural bridge and crane photos, too. The church quilt shop! I had to google how far it is from my home--five hours... Maybe not as the solo destination!
ReplyDelete