Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Midweek: in the studio + HLC


 Two more trails for my 2026 Hike Lake County list.   Spring Bluff is my wild card ("pick any trail not on the list"). I chose it because I hoped to find some bottle gentian, a hard-to-find wildflower that blooms in late summer.  I was not successful. Maybe I was too late.     Raven Glen was partly a farm and and one time a campground (see Timber Lake, upper right).    


Bottle Gentian, 2024



# # # # # # 

In the studio:  


Four placemats for the ongoing Rotary project.  (They'll be given away in February at our spaghetti dinner delivery to shut-ins.  I have about 100 more to make.)


100 blocks for Cynthia's Many Hands and Many Hearts block drive.  I mailed them yesterday. 

 


I saw a picture of a free-form Log Cabin quilt made from solids.  I was intrigued and pulled out the three big bins of solids (how have I acquired that quantity?), cut 2" strips, and started sewing.

I working on the setting now. 






More fun with 2" solid strips.   I bought Victoria Findlay Wolfe's Modern Quilt Magic book at her presentation last week.   The "magic" is partial seams.   The interwoven herringbone braid is fiddly but not hard.  This is the practice piece she includes in the book. I hope to try to make a whole quilt.  I have a hamper of 2" strips (prints, not solids) right under the cutting table, ready to go. 

There's a lot else going on in my non-quilt-related life.  I hope to have a reading round up post in a few days.

Linking up with Wednesday Wait Loss  
 

    

1 comment:

  1. Love your placemats! Could you use a few from me? The local hospital took over the Meals on Wheels program here and are not interested in getting fabric placemats to give out. All of the blocks you are working on are awesome. The braid is really fun!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.