Sunday, September 8, 2024

Weekly update, part 1: the Wisconsin Quilt Show


 The 20th Wisconsin Quilt Show (formerly 'expo,' hence my blog label) was held September 5-7 at the Alliant Center on the south side of Madison. This was the sixth time I've gone, and the fifth time on a one-day bus trip chartered by a LQS.   We met at the Kenosha County administration complex and boarded the bus to depart promptly at 7 a.m.  We arrived at 9 a.m. just as the doors opened.  


Bucky Badger and the University of Wisconsin Pep Band rallied the quilters.  


I like to do the exhibits first and save the shopping for later in the day.   


Karen is involved at the state level with Quilts of Valor.  We met in the Blockswappers group nearly 20 years ago.

Anna is one of my Magpie friends.  She and I were joined at lunchtime by Debbie (Time 4 Stitchin).  

I sat in on Jennifer Chiaverini's lecture. (I didn't stay for the book signing because I wanted to go shopping!) 


On to the quilts!




This is the third time I've had a quilt in the show.



There were quilts by people I know.  Upper left by Marge Carhart (quilt guild), upper right by Sue Daurio, lower left by Anna Braun (Magpies), lower right by Sue Daurio. (You can see Sue working on the moth here at the workshop with Jane Sassaman. (Recall that I made a tote bag out of mine.  Sue's is on a whole 'nother level!) 






These are some of the prize winners.

Best in Show went to Margaret Solomon Gunn for Eyes in the Forest (upper right in this collage).






These are some of the smaller quilts that caught my eye. 

(I took pictures of the artists' statements for many of these. If you'd like to know more, let me know.) 










These are some of the larger quilts.






 There were rainbow quilts.



 


 







Challenge category:  Black, White, and One Color. 

 Challenge category:  Modern Miniatures.


Challenge category:  Modern Miniatures.












Special exhibit: the 1876 Quilt.  



Special exhibit:  the Monarch Challenge, Cherrywood's 2024 contest.   




This was fun.










This was unusual.  



Wow!



Double wow.

The lines are sewn in, not appliqued. They are about 1/16".



Neckties!  

As you know they are uppermost in my quilting conscience right now.  









Of course I bought fabric.    P. Carter Carpin (Serious Whimsy) had a booth. I bought some of her fabric at a show back in 2021 and have been using it here and there. Now I've augmented my supply.  Ditto for Kristin Balouch (Little House Cottons) whom I first met at QuiltCon in Atlanta. And other fabric....because.  


# # # # # #

Back on the bus at 4 p.m.   A stop for dinner in Janesville, bus back to Kenosha County at 7 p.m., and I was home at 7:30.    Stevens and caregiver V got along well in my absence.  

Next post:  wildflowers, neckties, and new shoes.

5 comments:

  1. That looks like it was a fun day, although a long one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos from the quilt show! I was visiting family in Madison and was able to get to the show on Saturday afternoon. Congratulations on your quilt being included.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like an incredible show! I would have loved to have seen the Monarch display in person because they look wonderful from your photos. What a great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos. I knew Misty Cole a bit when she l lived in my area. Enjoyed seeing some of her current work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a very good show. Thank you for sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.