Friday, August 30, 2024

Friday check in: hemming up August with OMG


It was fiercely hot Monday and Tuesday but that did not keep us from checking two more trails off the Hike Lake County list!   We went before lunch when it was marginally cooler.  




 

No walk on Wednesday but yesterday we revisited Lyons Woods which is close to home (on the border between Beach Park and Waukegan).   The HLC designated trail was the opposite direction from the way I usually walk so it was the same-but-different.  

Bumblebee on goldenrod, Carolina horse nettle (also called Radical Weed or Tread Softly).  Wild cucumber, giant hyssop.

I hope we can do the final trail of the twelve this weekend.  (As I type this it's raining, so not today.)

# # # # # #



In the studio:  it's time to report progress on August goals.  

#1   a fabric box to hold binding clips -- DONE!






#2   a jumbo tote bag to take quilts, etc., to guild meetings -- DONE!   I used the class sample from  the June workshop taught by Jane Sassaman.   She was a great teacher and her applique technique is one I want to try again, but I was not inclined to make the entire moth-in-moonlight wall hanging.  

#3   necktie project samples -- I have been asked to talk about working with ties at a guild workshop on September 14.  I've pulled out books and projects I've made.  I have more prep to do, but thinking about it is part of that prep!

#4   acquire less/give away more -- I have moved some yardage forward, though two estate sales have added . . . stash report in Monday's post!

Linking up with August OMG link up  and Finished or Not Friday  

12 comments:

  1. Oh dear, why do I think that the total yardage collection has risen. Estate sales seem to be more of a US thing than here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tote bag is stunning! What a great use of a workshop sample. Acquire less/give away more - you do very well at this. I need to improve in both areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable clip bowl/container! I'll bet that tote gives other quilters some ideas of what to do with their orphaned projects.

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete
  4. The humidity was so high that I'm surprised you got those walks in. Even today though it is cooler, the humidity is still high.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your clip box is so cute--nice work on this.; and you did a super job on that tote bag, Nann...so pretty. Thank you for all your wonderful gifts--I can't wait to use them...stay tuned to see them appear in my projects...hugs, Julierose;)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great basket for your binding clips and I love your tote, too! Nice finishes. Sounds you'll get through those Hike Lake County trails before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Acquire less, give away more" - that has been my unofficial motto this year as well. Feels so good to share with others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did well with your August goals. Your back is so cute, love the jewel tones on that butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the bag and the clip holder...we've a hot weekend again but cooler monday....i'll be basting again this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun blog! I found your link on JulieRoseQuilts post. Book reviews, quilts and lots more. Your basket and Jane S. tote are wonderful. I'm off to read some previous posts. Those hankies from the estate sale- a real deal. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful projects. Is the horse nettle a weed by you? It is here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great projects. I love the clip holder and the tote is sew pretty. I'm curious to see what kind of tie projects you're going to talk/show. I've been trying to use fabric in my stash before running out to buy more. It's hard but I'm trying. (o:

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.