Friday, August 2, 2024

Friday check in: a finish to start the month + stash report + OMG

 
Wildlife on yesterday's walk.  That's a young garter snake--a fast slitherer!

We've been enjoying other fast and high-flying events on the Olympics this week.  Paris is 7 hours ahead of Chicago so their evening events are late morning and afternoon here.  (Simone and Suni!  Katie! and events we're not as familiar with -- equestrian, fencing, BMX.)

# # # # # 

In the studio:  

Sis-boom-dot is finished.

I used the serpentine stitch and purple thread to quilt it.








The back uses an Alexander Henry print from Barb M's estate sale and an insert of a Kaffe Fassett print. 


The Kaffe was part of a small indulgence in a Keepsake Quilting sale mid-month. (Gotta buy enough for free shipping, you know.)

That leads to the July stash report.  

Fabric IN:  155 yards, $139.00,  .90 per yard.

Fabric OUT: 110-7/8 yards (that includes three boxes sent to blogging friends).

YTD fabric IN: 1158 yards, $2204, average $1.90 per yard.  

YTD fabric OUT:  727 yards.    Yes, I have to sew and give away more and acquire less -- but, oh, it's such fun.

# # # # #

I've made a stumbling start on an August goal.  I'd like to make a fabric box for the wonder clips that I use for binding. (They're currently in a plastic take out box that is functional but not decorative.)  I tried  Amanda Jean Nyberg's scrap box pattern using a scrap slab that was on hand.  I modified it somewhat and I'm still not entirely satisfied.   I'll tweak the concept some more.

Other August projects:

(1) A big tote bag to carry quilts for guild show and tell (and other places). I've been using big totes from library conferences that, again, are functional but not decorative.  

(2)  Necktie projects. I'm scheduled to give a demonstration about quilting with neckties at the guild 'schoolhouse' workshop on September 14.  I can talk a lot but I want to have samples.  

(3)  Acquire less. Give away more.  

Linking up with Finished or Not Friday and OMG at Stories from the Sewing Room

P.S. I feel very thrifty.  I won one of the centerpieces at the AAUW luncheon back in June.  The artificial flowers were anchored in dried beans in a plastic cup, a circle of fabric disguising the cup.   I disassembled the centerpiece this week -- flowers to the church rummage sale, fabric square to the scrap basket, and the beans cooked with tomatoes and salt pork. 



8 comments:

  1. I haven't seen many butterflies since very early summer so it's good to see a photo of one. Yikes, a snake! Thankfully I haven't seen one of those for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your goal and your other projects. I commend you for using the beans too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking of you daily as I haul my current hand-quilting project with me, packed into the tote you made the Magpies back in 2020. Had to chuckle at the bean use--exactly what I would've done (right down to tossing the fabric into the scrap basket).

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete
  4. sis boom dot is great!! I like that - Acquire less... its so hard tho!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bean dish makes me hungry for beans, maybe with a pan of cornbread? Except if I turned the oven on the whole house would probably melt.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been turning on the Olympics for my mom when I go visit. Even though she doesn't talk much anymore, it's something we can enjoy together! Sis-boom-dot turned out beautifully! I really like that design with the cornerstones. I've been wanting to make a fabric basket this month, too - will go check out Amanda Jean's design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sis Boom Dot turned out beautifully! Good luck with all goals for August, you have some lofty ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great finish! As always I'm astounded by the 'in's and out's' of your stash.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.