Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Midweek: an unexpected project + reading

 


Monday afternoon:  a red admiral stopped long enough for a photo; a reddish mushroom 'protected' by poison ivy;  plantings on the restored beach.

The map: red arrow "you are here" and my finger shows where I walked on Sunday. That gives you an idea of the stretch of our lakefront.


# # # # #

There was a 2-yard piece of black pin dot in the lot I bought at the estate sale Sunday.   I put it to use with a design inspired by Emily Bailey.   But yikes! I was short 12 HSTs for the corners of the SIS blocks and 10 2.5 x 6.5 sashes.  Whew!  There was a chunk of black pin dot in my stash.  It's ever-so-slightly different but the pin dots are so small no one will notice.  

Here's the work in progress.  The horizontal sashes are pieced but not shown.    Blocks are 6".

I use the Studio 180 Square 2 ruler for SIS.


# # # # #






I finished two more Advance Reader Copies that I got at the ALA conference.


Ramona Emerson was a panelist at the Penguin Random House adult books luncheon.   

Readers were introduced to forensic photographer Rita Todacheene in Shutter ( reviewed here)  Rita is Navajo and lives in Gallup, New Mexico. She sees the ghosts of the victims whose photographs she takes for the county examiner. The ghosts tell her what really caused their deaths, and it's up to Rita to convince her superiors without revealing the otherworldly source.   

There's a parallel narrative.  A serial killer spins his story from his abused childhood to his work at a Gallup mission.  He is compelled to "release" indigent, often homeless, Native people by savagely murdering them.   The police department is stymied.   Rita is called in to help.

I'm not a big fan of paranormal fiction but I'm cheering for Rita!

~~~~~~~~~~~


In 1924 Leonard "Kip" Rhinelander, scion of an elite New York family, married Alice Beatrice Jones, the daughter of a housemaid and a taxi driver. That match became a society scandal, not because of Alice's humble origin but because her father was a mixed-race Jamaican. Kip's father threatened to disinherit Kip if the wedding were not annulled.  Alice and her family fought back.  The legal battle made headlines not only in New York but across the country.

In 1940 Roberta Taylor, Alice's long-estranged niece, is a reporter for New York Amsterdam News, a Black newspaper. Roberta is able to interview Alice to find out the entire story that led to the eventual divorce (with a settlement contested by the Rhinelanders).

Anachronisms in the narrative spoiled the story for me. (Examples: p. 9, Roberta refers to Ms. Petry. In 1943 women were addressed as Mrs. or Miss. p. 124 "thrown under a bus"--not in 1924; the phrase is from the 70's/80's. p. 131 -- "go bonkers" --origin in WWII slang, not 1924. p. 143 using a can opener to open Coca Cola; Coke came in bottles then, so a bottle opener would be used.)

However, I'm sufficiently intrigued to look up the story of the Rhinelanders and the trial.

# # # # # 

Linking up with Midweek Makers Wednesday Wait Loss 

Thanks for the shout out, Jennifer. 

9 comments:

  1. another terrific scrappy nann....fabric gods were with you on finding the extra fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I'd seen something about Ms being used back in the day. Google showed me this: The introduction of Ms as a neutral alternative to 'Miss' or 'Mrs', and the direct equivalent of 'Mr', was proposed as early as 1901.

    https://www.cam.ac.uk › news › mis...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both books sound interesting. And the scrappy project is looking so good. Black sure makes the colors pop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pindot fabric is a perfect background for the bright prints, the blocks look like jewels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very start and almost finish. So lucky you had something similar in the stash!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you quickly start and finish quilt tops. This one looks bright and cheerful. Good thing you had the extra piece of pin dot in your stash.
    You finished some interesting books. I suspect the casual reader would not realize the anachronisms but someone who's well-read or has an interest in history, especially social history, would notice them right off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm curious - after having received advance copies of books are you allowed to critique them so the errors you discover can be corrected before they go to full-on sales?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like you SIS. Both books sound interesting. Gonna have to put them on my to read list. It's getting longer. I need read faster. LOL
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I'm so impressed that you were able to find more black pin dot to finish your blocks. They look so pretty! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/07/15/wednesday-wait-loss-389

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.