Monday, July 22, 2024

Weekly update: it's a flimsy + a new start

 
After last week's storms it's easy to see why the French explorers called the river "eau pleine," or "water-full."  Eau pleine became Des Plaines (a river and a city) and O'Plaine (a road).  

I ignored the sign and walked through the puddle on my heels. 


That was Saturday's walk at the Des Plaines River Canoe Launch.  Sunday was closer to home at Sand Pond.  


Clockwise from left:  coneflower + monarda, mullein, pinnate coneflower, nightshade, betony, primrose, swamp milkweekd. Center: American germander.

# # # # #






Our friend Mary Lou invited me to harvest a second batch of rhubarb.   Our only freezer is the one in the refrigerator.  I managed to fit all the packages in.

# # # # #





In the studio:  SIS-pin-dot (as in sis-boom-bah) is a flimsy.  











The new start:  it's been a long time since I made log cabin blocks.   Center square is 2.5" (2" fin) and logs are 1.5" (1" fin).  Blocks are 10.5" (10" fin). Keeping the rounds going in a consistent direction is trickier than it looks.  I'm aiming for 48 blocks for a 60 x 80 quilt.  

Ideally I'd use only what's in the 1.5" strip bin, but I don't have enough long strips (esp. lights) so I've had to cut some more. 

My non-quilting to-do list is very long.  I plan to chip away at it this morning.    

Linking up with Oh Scrap! Design Wall Monday Sew and Tell

13 comments:

  1. You have so many great places to walk - love seeing the wildflowers! The SIS quilt is a pretty one - I really like the design with added squares in the sashing. Pretty log cabin blocks, too! Perfect for sewing a seam or two in between non-quilting-related chores! I have a few of those on my list this morning, too - better get started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is A LOT of water!! The flowers are gorgeous!
    Sis pin dot is amazing ! and of course - I love a good log cabin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah rhubarb...lots of ideas for it here....and love those log cabins...being a lefty have sewn logs on wrong more than i care to count...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sis-pin-dot is fantastic! I love how those squares fit in with the ones on point, and how they pop on the dark background. I have the same issues with log cabin blocks - keeping that rounds going the correct way. Usually I've made one complete one and hang it up so I can see it for reference. I haven't made a log cabin quilt in quite some time either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love log cabin blocks. There are so many ways to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems like it's feast or famine when it comes to rain these days. For some reason (touch wood) we seem to be getting adequate rains where we live but other places are either totally dry or floating away.
    I love the log cabin design!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so much water! We've had almost 1/2 inch since Memorial Day and wouldn't know what to do with a good healthy soaking - very sad plants and animals around here. Meanwhile your new quilt top is lots of fun, like stained glass!

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy making log cabin blocks. This time I cut the pieces to exact sizes and it is so easy to make fairly accurate blocks. We got drenched in Munising one day last week. We finally had a decent rain at home over night. We needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful wildflowers! Sis-boom-bah turned out beautifully. Your log cabin blocks look great. I'm need to start one of those to empty out my 1.5" strip bin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always enjoy your wildflower walks. Gosh, what will you do with all the rhubarb? Bake winter treats? I love SIS. And who doesn't love a Log Cabin?

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are lots of personality books around but one I've found helpful is The Four Tendencies by Gretchen Rubin. She identified four general categories that people may identify with: the upholder, the obliger, the questioner, and the rebel. I noticed that you ignored the trail closed sign and it made me wonder if you tend to be a rebel.
    SIS-pin-dot is such a fun quilt. You made it so quickly!
    It looks like you're going counter-clockwise with your log cabin blocks. The variety of fabrics is so fun in the scrappy cabin blocks. I'll look forward to seeing your final layout.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.