Monday, June 3, 2024

Weekly update: a new start and OMG for June

 


Foxgloves at Illinois Beach State Park yesterday. 

Neighbor Mike worked on our refrigerator on Saturday. His diagnosis is that the relay that tells the condenser to cool needs to be replaced.  He has a call in to the repairman.  Meanwhile we are still 'camping' with two Igloo coolers holding produce and other food.  (I don't want to tromp into Mike and Jen's garage multiple times a day to use their backup fridge where I have more food stored.)

# # # # #

I got reacquainted with the bin of bright prints when I made the butterfly quilt (see last week's update).   I saved a photo of    Scrappy Lozenge by Emily Bailey

(c) Emily Bailey

-- perfect for those prints.  But her quilt uses a white background, IMO not the best for a donation quilt.  It's not the specific color for the background but rather the consistency of that color that provides a resting point for a super-scrappy mix.  I chose red.  

Emily's blocks use 3-1/2" x 6-1/2" rectangles and 3-1/2" squares. 

My blocks use 3" x 5-1/2" rectangles and 3" squares. Why?  Because I cut the squares the wrong size.  LOL!   

I thought the horizontal orientation was more interesting.  (All those slivers of white are the design wall peeking through.) 

As of this writing I have 8 of the rows sewn together.  

AND I have most of the cutaway HSTs trimmed and pressed.....with an idea of how to use them.

# # # # #

OMG for June:  a new tote bag to take to the ALA conference at the end of the month.  I have an idea for that, too.

Busy week ahead . . . thanks for tuning in today.


Linking up with Oh Scrap! Sew and Tell Design Wall Monday OMG June

Thanks for the Sew and Tell shout out, Melva!

More wildflowers:   wild flag (iris), cinquefoil, Allegheny blackberry, golden Alexander, bladder campion, water lilies.

 


7 comments:

  1. another winner nann....sorry about the fridge...hope it gets fixed soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great little block! I love the interesting design it makes. Hope it doesn't take too l8ng to get the fridge repaired!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those lozenges blocks are another great scrap buster. Thanks for sharing in my Sew and Tell party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully you can get the part you need for the fridge, it's such a pain to be without. Red is an unusual choice, but it really works. Good luck with your June stitching plans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adaptation: learning to live with what you have. Good solution for your "fridge" although I hope it is fixed soon for you. But also a good adapting on your lozenge blocks. The horizontal setting does look nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really hope your fridge woes get sorted out quickly. Good thing you had someone to call for a second opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about the fridge. Your quilt looks nice and I'll look forward to seeing your choice of tote bag.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.