Monday, May 6, 2024

Weekly update: an OMG decision + reading

 A quick walk around Sand Pond on Saturday afternoon.

The egret was quite close--guarding a nest, perhaps?  Upper: sand cherry  (a bush). Lower: crabapple (obviously a tree); mullein.






We enjoyed A Flor de Piel who performed for the final Lake County Community Concert of the season.   The young singer (center) is only a senior in high school -- what a voice!  Their parents (left and right) are music educators in Chicago.

# # # # # #

At the guild meeting last week I signed up for the upcoming round robin.  It will begin next month so I have to figure out my starter block (an orphan or something new?).   And that pushed me to decide on my May One Monthly Goal:  finish one of the two flimsies from the previous round robins.  

Before:  the 2019 flimsy. 




After.   I needed to stabilize the edges of the beautiful herringbone border.  I didn't want a square quilt.  I surprised myself that the 3" (finished) border triangles fit!   Note that I swapped the red corner squares for a multicolor batik print.

Now, to quilt it.







While I had the V Block ruler out -- and being very much aware of how much fabric I got at Raffle Mania (see Friday's post!) -- I began a new project.  The Raffle Mania winnings included a 3-1/2 yard piece of brown tone-on-tone batik.   Blocks are 6-1/2" unfinished. I plan to make 120 for a 10 x 12 setting = 60 x 72.

# # # # # #

Richard Thompson Ford presents an engagingly-written history of how fashion and style in Western European culture have evolved over the centuries.  

What we think of as hard-and-fast rules are not immutable.  Everyone wore loose-fitting robes in medieval times.  Men wore lace and high heels.  The Great Masculine Renunciation changed everything in the late 18th century--ever since "the norm" has been the jacket-and-trousers suit while women's clothing has become more decorative. Those norms have been challenged in the 20th and 21st century with 'ethnic' clothing (and hair) and religious statements (e.g. the hijab and 'modest' attire).  

"All clothing is artifice, contrived to convey meaning and produce an effect....Our deepest, most authentic selves are not born; they are fashioned." (p. 354) 

"The way we cover, embellish, and present our bodies influences how we come to understand our place in the world." (p. 358)


The library reserve list for all formats is hundreds long so I bought the hardcover.   I finished it in a day and half.  It's as good as everyone says!  


Linking up with Sew and Tell   Design Wall Monday  Oh Scrap!
OMG May
 


9 comments:

  1. This quilt looks so different after you put on the light green border, Nann !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good decision on corner squares...they drowned out center block....ok now i will reserve the women...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminded me to put "The Women" on hold at my local library - almost 900 for the regular version but only 68 for the large print, which I enjoy more anyway. But maybe they have dozens of copies of the regular version and only one large print? I reserved both as an experiment.

    Lovely wildflower pictures as always - I am enjoying mullein volunteers in my garden, although I may have a few more than absolutely compatible with having other things.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your 2019 round robin is a beauty, Nann! The triangle and bright green borders finish it off perfectly. I, too, really liked The Women. Such an eye opener.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you mentioned swapping out the corner blocks because I had a moment of puzzlement. I could see you'd added borders but couldn't get past the corners having changed. It was a good choice, they tie in nicely with the inner blue/black framing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job finishing the previous round robin. I think the green looks great with it. The fussy cut corners really work well with the whole top. Nice job. I broke down and bought a copy of a new book coming out this week. It's called "The Ministry of Time" by Kaliane Bradley -- her first novel. I read a review in the Washington Post and fell in love with the whole concept. I don't normally buy books -- I usually go for digital. But I know my daughter-in-law will love it also so hardback it is. I'll let you know how it is when done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the new corners. It's interesting how changing just a few things changes the entire look of a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of your round robin quilts are really fun, but so very different. Looking forward to seeing what you decided for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always in awe of all the sewing you manage to accomplish - and in even more awe when I see the sheer intricate piecing on your OMG project.
    Glad you enjoyed 'The Women' - I must have been one of the first ones to notice our library had a copy and got my hold put on it right away. Last time I looked there were well over 60 people in line for it.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.