Monday, March 25, 2024

Weekly update: miscellaneous projects in the works, and some good books

 

Spring came in like a lion.  This is the view out the front door on Friday morning.  

Fortunately there was no wind behind the snow and it stopped by noon.  






The Zion Woman's Club had a small but enthusiastic turnout for our first spring Bunco party.   

Marilyn had the high score, Evie had the low score, and I had the most buncos. (A bunco is 21 points, achieved by rolling three of a kind of the pip in play. A baby bunco is 5 points, achieved by rolling three of a kind of a pip not in play. (E.g. 3 3's when 5 is in play.))

The raffles were a gift card basket ($200 in store gift cards), a wine/cheese/chocolate basket, 50/50 cash, and Sparkling Triangles, which I made.  

Proceeds go to  a high school scholarship, a week-long art camp for a high school student, and contributions to local agencies. 


# # # # # #

On Wednesday I wrote that I looked forward to Diane Harris's improv curves Zoom workshop.  I wasn't able to sit in on the entire 6-hour program but I got the concept.  Here's what I accomplished.  More to come. 





I caught up on some blog reading and was intrigued by Lynne Tyler's slab-pieced triangles . I bought the tutorial from her Etsy shop and found a use for a stack of batik crumb/slab blocks I made a while ago.* The blocks are 6.5" unfinished.  More to come with these, too. 

* The blocks in the stack were 12.5".  I sewed and re-sewed them so that I had 7" panels from which I cut the triangle shapes.  I used Deb Tucker's V block ruler. (Lynne uses Tri-Recs.)


Another new start.  These are homespun plaids with "regular" neutrals. Units are 5.5" to finish at 5".   As of Sunday night I had 75 HSTs and 39 nine-patches. 

# # # # # #

The ALA Retired Members Round Table Fifth Sunday Book Club met yesterday, the fourth Sunday, because next week is Easter.   Because we are librarians we are conditioned (perhaps hard-wired) to read extensively and recommend a lot ("there's a book for that!" as the saying goes), so this book club uses prompts rather than specific books.  The prompt this time was a Western -- however we chose to define it.  Several people recommended mystery writers including C. J. Box, Tony and Anne Hillerman, J. A. Jance, and Craig Johnson, all of whom I've enjoyed.  I talked about Smoky the Cow Horse (Newbery Medal, 1927), The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig, and Bold Spirit by Linda Lawrence Hunt. 

(I'll have some recent reading to report on later this week.) 

Linking up with Design Wall Monday  Oh Scrap!

P.S.  No walks this past week -- crummy weather and meetings. I missed the exercise!  

8 comments:

  1. i read box, johnson and jance myself...all good reads. liking those batik triangles...always plenty of scraps on hand by everyone it 'seams'...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like that out our window this morning! Your Bunco night sounds fun - love the quilt you donated. I like your slab triangles, too! My dad introduced me to Tony Hillrman many years ago, and I've continued on reading Anne's continuation of the stories and characters. I think she does a great job with Leaphorn, Chee, and Manuelito!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figured you must have gotten a few inches of snow from the weather map on TV. We missed out on the snow but we're getting rain which we need.
    I like your homespun quilt layout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the slab-pieced triangles design probably because it reminds me a little of crazy quilting.
    Resident Chef enjoys CJ Box and I know we've picked up a few JA Jance books along the way. Not familiar with the other two so will have to check them out (hah...literally!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some very fun new projects in the works. The slab pieced triangles are really fun and very dramatic. Happy stitching and reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quiltdivajulie here - your triangle project looks great! I'm considering another scrap slab triangle projects, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bunco sounds fun!! and the prizes - awesome! Love your new start. the curves are really cool too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice quilt you made and donated. I like your triangle work. I'm a big fan of Deb Tucker's rulers. I have way too many of them. I'm finding I'm spending less time reading and more time on my quilting although I can't say I'm getting all that much done on that front either.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.