Sunday, April 3, 2022

Weekly update: passages, a finish, hopscotch, and two great books



Signs of spring: the scilla have begun to bloom.  The aquilegia (columbine) have sprouted. Bring on the daffodils! 

In home improvement news, the 50-year-old windows were replaced this week.  (The exception is the five-pane bay window in the living room which has to be custom-ordered.)  My bathroom remodeling is finally done with the last wall patch plastered over and painted.  


We had to bundle up on Friday to plant blue pinwheels for Child Abuse Prevention Month.  It's one of the GFWC-Illinois signature projects.  

Sad news:  two Zion Women's Club members passed away last week at age 91 and 89.  Our across-the-street neighbor passed away last week, at 90.  Our good friend Bob has added hospice to his caregivers. He's been taken off all his medications, though when I went to visit this afternoon he was visiting with the pastor and another church friend while wife Liz and the four daughters were enjoying their weekly Scrabble game. (They live just the right distance for me to get a good walk.  I share books with Liz. The book I took today is reviewed in this post.)

On the other hand, I saw an estate sale sign when I left church this morning. I knew the house!   I was relieved when the estate sale people said that Genny has moved to assisted living so the sale was to downsize.  I bought a few things, including  yellow and red Pyrex mixing bowls.  (I got the turquoise bowl at a sale last year....hopefully there will be a green one at a bargain price sometime soon.)   When I got home I called Genny.  "I'm going down to lunch," she said cheerfully.  She's moved to a congregate housing place in Zion, a decision entirely on her own. She's fine and happy at 94.   I aspire to her example!

# # # # #



Creme de la Crumb is quilted and bound. 


The bright primary-color 'fruit salad' print on the back looks like a contemporary retro -- but it's genuine vintage CranTex (Cranston), 45" wide.  I got it at a thrift shop a couple of years ago.  The green insert is to add contrast and so that I didn't have to try to match the two pieces.








I've made 26 CW hopscotch blocks. The pattern calls for 42.

# # # # #

My husband is a big fan of the Joe Pickett mysteries by C. J. Box. I've begun listening to the audio version narrated by David Chandler.  (He also narrated the Cork O'Connor series by William Kent Krueger.)  I've finished #1 and am nearly done with #2.  Stevens has #22, published in March, in the stack next to his chair.) 

Listening aside, I read two great books this week, one by a long-time favorite author and the other by a new writer.  

"The Rembrandt light of memory, finicky and magical and faithful at the same time, as the cheaper tint of nostalgia never is," writes narrator Paul Milliron about the momentous year of 1910 -- when Halley's Comet entered the heavens and when Rose Llewellyn and Morrie Morgan entered their prairie farming community. Rose came to be housekeeper for the Millirons (widower Oliver, Paul, and younger brothers Damon and Toby). Morrie came with his sister and when the schoolteacher eloped with a traveling evangelist he stepped in as a most unusual and inspiring schoolmaster in the one-room rural school.

Ivan Doig's writing is exquisite and his storytelling is memorable. A couple of years ago I acquired a paperback copy of The Whistling Season. It's been in the "someday" stack. My husband read it ("This is good," he said) and it went back on the stack. Someday finally arrived and, oh, I so enjoyed traveling back in time to the Montana prairie.

~~~~~~~~~~

"What is the purpose of a map?....Maps were love letters written to times and places their makers had explored. They did not control the territory--they told its stories....[Maps] bring people together." (p. 372)

When cartographer Daniel Young dies suddenly in his office in the Map Division of the New York Public Library his estranged daughter Nell, herself a cartographer, finds a not-so-old map in a hidden compartment in his desk. What is the significance of a 1950's gas station road map? As Nell soon learns, someone wants that map very, very much. Nell's investigation into the map's history and its meaning to her parents and their once-tightly-knit circle of fellow cartographers uncovers long-hidden secrets and a long-hidden town.   It's a grand adventure!

Linking up with Oh Scrap!   Design Wall Monday  Monday Making

10 comments:

  1. Love your crumb quilt! And those CW blocks are fabulous.

    Have you read "The Midnight Library", "Black Cake", or "The Gardner Heist"? I'm on a roll having read 29 books already this year!

    Happy Sunday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cartographers sounds intriguing. I'm thinking about those CW Hopscotch blocks for RSC next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hopscotch blocks are neat! I also have The Whistling Season on top of a pile and have never read it - thanks for the recommendation. Your post reminded me to go back to where I left off in the Cork O'Connor series, too. I read Lightning Strike not long ago, and enjoyed that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the book recommendations. And the crumb quilt is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. busy week - love the quilts and blocks

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hopscotch blocks are wonderful. You always share such interesting book recommendations. I've been a fan of Krueger's books, but have only read 1 of Box so far. I haven't gotten into listening to audio books yet. My husband used to listen to them while driving to job sites for work, but doesn't travel as much now so he has gotten out of the habit too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I remember those colored Pyrex mixing bowls! My grandmother had a red one (to match her red kitchen with red sink, red flowered wallpaper, red dishes, placemats etc). What a lucky score! Crème de la Crumb came out great and I love that you were able to use your vintage fabric for its backing. And those hopscotch blocks are coming along nicely, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Creme de la Crumb quilt is a fabulous finish!!!! Interesting book recommends--will see what's available in audio from my library.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nann,
    I like your hopscotch blocks. And of course, the Creme de la Crumb is fabulous. Great name for it. Thanks for faithfully linking with the Design Wall Mondays Linky Party. Hugs, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry for the loss of your quilting buddies. Congrats on the finishes. Your hopscotch blocks are looking good. Thank you for the book recommendations, I've been looking for a really good book to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.