Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Midweek: a finish, estate sale surprise, and a speaker


122 comments and counting!  The response to the Villa Rosa Blog Hop has been great.  Today is the last day for the guest bloggers.  I hope you've visited all of them. 

I finished quilting the second version of Twinkle.  


The FQ bundle I used for the HSTs (the stars) had 11 prints.  Nine made the blocks in the quilt. Rather than making more stars I pieced the other two sets into pinwheels.  The backing fabrics are two 1990's Hoffman prints from Barb M's estate.







And yesterday was Month **SEVEN** of that estate sale.  (If you've missed the ongoing story, start with this post and work back to September.)  The first six sales raised more than $12,000 for different charities. This month the proceeds will go to the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's disease research.   



When I walked into the room yesterday Paula greeted me with, "Nann, look what we found!"  

Barb won the guild Block of the Month blocks in July, 2000.  


Yes, those are my initials.  I do not remember making this block at all.   






I did not buy the set, but I did not leave empty-handed.   I piled  my purchases on the ironing board in my studio.  I paid $1.89 per yard.  

Paula said they have an 8 x 10 storage unit filled with fabric they haven't washed yet. She said there will be at least two more sales. 




The  Village Quilters are hosting Diane Harris,  Stash Bandit by Zoom this week.   I met Diane when she was an editor at Quiltmaker and I was selected to participate in a quilt-along.   Last evening she gave a trunk show with great ideas for designing scrappy quilts.  Today I'll attend her workshop (by Zoom) on improv curves.   Now I need to get this posted so I can log in on time!

Linking up with Midweek Makers and Wednesday Wait Loss -- with thanks to both Susan and Jennifer for featuring me this week!



14 comments:

  1. love that twinkle quilt...oh my two more sales? glad i live far away...nice haul as ever

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your second version of Twinkle. I have some soft pink that reminds me of vintage quilts that I may use. Smithcindyk@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been busy. Lots of pretties in your latest haul from the sale. Hope you enjoyed the class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sheer amount of what you've brought home from the estate sale confounds the mind, but then I stopped and thought about how much you DIDN't bring home and it definitely defies description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your writing style. I'm gonna complete-ist you: start from your pilot blog and read to present day. Your readership might increase by 1%!

      Carolyn

      Delete
  5. I love the way the pinwheels transition the reds from the right-side fabric to the left, and do the same with the blue into the right. So clever, so lovely!

    "Holy s#!t" is always my reaction whenever you talk about that estate sale (not your hauls, but the sheer mass of work and fabric involved!)

    I'm with you in that whole "I made that?" thing. Pre-blogging stuff just fell right out of my data banks, unless I stumble upon an old picture tucked away somewhere. If there's no documented proof, did it ever happen?

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a pretty finish, Nann! I love the blue background. Your friend, Barb, is leaving quite a legacy with the sales the group is doing. I think you're all making her proud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's a lot of fabric! Glad it's going to good homes. Love Stash Bandit. I bet you had a good class! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/03/20/wednesday-wait-loss-372

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your "Twinkle" quilt--great colors...
    I just found two little wall hangings I made and cannot recall doing them[-but at least there are not 276 of them ;)))) at least I hope not!!] hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my another sale! You are so lucky. I am almost ready to send you money to shop for me, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are the luckiest person I know as far as fabric sales. Was it weird to see old blocks you made? Anyway, I love the twinkle quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like you got some African fabric and batik in this session of the sale. I think maybe she wins the prize with the most fabric left when she passed. The most I have heard before is 4 big sale dates for a stash.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How amazing to find your own quilt block--and not remember having made it! I wish I could attend the estate sales. So much fabric!
    Twinkle looks beautiful. So warm and welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like that Twinkle quilt. I think it must be that bright blue background that really makes those stars twinkle. Those curved blocks remind me of ones we made a long time ago for Block Lotto. I didn't win those blocks but somewhere around here I have a couple of UFOs of some blocks I made. One UFO has embroidery and is in neutrals and the other UFO has brown as a constant in all the blocks. I was making those at one time as RSC blocks. Now where are they? I kind of like those curved blocks you've made!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.