Sunday, February 18, 2024

Weekly update: scrappy mountains


 I'm working on a commission quilt (#3 of my four-part OMG list this month).  It's for Janice's daughter's wedding this summer.  Janice, her mother Joanne, and her sister-in-law Michelle have all won quilts I've made for our AAUW raffle so this is a third-generation quilt.  Janice said I could make anything which of course imposed more pressure rather than less. 

 I've always wanted to try Bonnie Hunter's Scrappy Mountain Majesties.  I showed a photo of someone's version (found online) to Janice. She liked it.  Decision made!   I chose a cool blue/green/turquoise/gray color scheme, pulled fabrics, and got going.  All the fabric will be from my stash.

I'm planning to make 50 blocks (7.5 x 12 finished) for a 60"x 75" quilt, no borders.  I've come to a conclusion that from here on I'll make wedding quilts sofa-sized, rather than queen-sized. That relieves the couple from the obligation of using the quilt on the bed.  Easier for me, too, and after all it's the thought that counts.  

# # # # #

I drove to church this morning (2-1/2 miles) and made a grocery run afterwards, but I was hesitant to drive farther so we didn't make it to an afternoon concert.  Better to miss that than to drive nervously.  

This is my Chuck Schumer look.  Now I understand why always has reading glasses perched at the end of his nose. These are 2.5 power.


Instead of a book report, here's a movie report.  We rented The Holdovers from Amazon and enjoyed it very much.  We identified with the retro setting (Christmas, 1970, New England).  (Apparently the filmmakers deliberately emulated early 70's technology.)


Linking up with  Design Wall MondayOh Scrap! Sew and Tell

9 comments:

  1. Great look on your scrappy mountains. I'm always amazed what you find in your stash. I think your eyes settle down a bit after time. I wasn't willing to drive quite so fast. I don't get out by myself all that often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the blocks....a fave bonnie pattern of mine...snazzy new look....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh I love the colors of your new quilt! The bride will go ga-ga over that I'm sure! LOL at Chuck Schumer look. :D Have a wonderful day and thanks for the movie suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scrappy Mountain is looking really good. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie Hunter creates some wonderful designs - this one is going to be wonderful and be a welcome gift I know.
    Glad you were able to see well enough to drive. I certainly couldn't have done that while my eyes were healing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your mountains, Nann. And movie-wise, don't miss The Taste of Things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a wise decision to make the wedding quilts throw size. We shouldn't be decorating their bedrooms with our style when they would much prefer their own style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mountains are gorgeous, Nann, and movie-wise, don't miss The Taste of Things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's going to be an awesome wedding quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.