Sunday, January 7, 2024

Weekly update: starting with finishes + OMG

 

I was able to go on two good walks this week -- and Stevens came along on one of them.  (I said, "Your Facebook fans want to see your smile!" )   Center right:  a rose hip caught the afternoon sunlight like a little jewel.

We had a little snow on Friday evening which has since melted.  Another storm is coming through midweek. 

# # # # #

Our quilt guild meets by Zoom in January and February.  We don't have to worry about storm cancellations and we can schedule speakers who live far away.  What a treat we had this week -- Jenny Doan from Missouri Star.  It was wonderful to hear her story (I haven't read her book) and she took a lot of questions from the group.  

# # # # #

In the studio, upstairs version (sewing on Sweetness, the Singer 301): 

Indigo Way units.    I used Deb Tucker's V-block ruler for the 108 isosceles triangles.   I thought that one green and one blue square would make one hourglass unit but in fact they make two -- so I have twice as many hourglasses as the pattern calls for.   Of course I'll be able to use the extras eventually.




I made all the Indigo Way A blocks.    Bonnie revealed the entire quilt on Friday.  I'll try to get started on the B blocks this week.

# # # # #   In the studio, downstairs version (sewing on the Janome, which is big enough for quilting): **three** finishes!   I made all the flimsies in December.     

These are wheel-chair sized.



This was my New Year's Eve project.  It didn't have any time to gather dust before it became a finished quilt.  

I used two batiks on the back of the batik quilt.  I had a little over a yard of gray/yellow and inserted two strips for the citrus/gray quilt.   (The scrappy strips quilt has an all-the-same backing.)

# # # # #

And now, finally:  it's time to declare my January One Monthly Goal.  I need to plan the mini quilt for the MQG annual challenge.  It's due in February.   Just 24", but as you know that can be more involved than a bed-sized quilt.

Linking up with Sew and Tell    Oh Scrap!  Design Wall Monday  OMG at Stories from the Sewing Room  

10 comments:

  1. great finishes....love the batiks NYE one best i think....glad you are able to get out and about...we were on the slush line in the latest storm but ended up with only rain...maine got walloped of course! do like your indigo way blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your finishes--great start to January;))) The two wheelchair quilts came out beautifully...so bright and cheerful...
    No walkies here today as we have ice and slush underfoot--it'll be the treadmill for us...
    Hope the rest of your week is a good one hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Jenny Doan? That's awesome. Your projects are coming along beautifully. Glad you're able to get out for walks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to hold the worst winter month's meeting via Zoom. It has certainly extended our communities. You have been busy.... I went on a quilting bing the last two weeks or so but still need to bind them. And, then there was a new top almost finished. The last snow storm was just a rain event. We'll see what happens on the next two precipitation days. BTW -- my computer let me visit you without any complaints. YEA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You're on a roll and the year has barely started!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet smile from Stevens!

    I've been walking daily this month--lapping the small pond across the street from my house as soon as I get home from visiting Mom. I'm dressed, have shoes and socks on my feet, so might as well spend the extra 15 minutes in my "for public consumption" clothes and get a bit of much-needed exercise in! This decision to walk daily wasn't a New Year's Resolution (I don't do those) but was tangential to someone else's. Anyway, I'm waiting for an email determining if the majority of the chorus wants to battle the looming wind storm to get to tonight's rehearsal. If yes, no walking (2 hours of standing and singing, instead). If no, I'm out the door for my walk, then settling in for a blowy, wail-y night.

    Oh yes--on topic: my latest finish is in the dryer as I type. Congrats on your **three!** recent finishes!

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your 3 quilt finishes, Nann!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you kicked off 2024 with a lot of productivity. Love your Indigo Way blocks. I'm way behind, but it's still been a fun mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You find the best walks! IL is a new state for me since some of the kids relocated there (south of you) so I especially enjoy learning about it via your posts. And of course the quilts!

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure that was a treat to hear Jenny. I did read her book--worth it!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.