Monday, October 9, 2023

Weekly update, part 3: in the studio, and a good book

 

At Greenbelt Forest Preserve on Friday.

I was about 8 feet away from the deer.  Allegheny blackberry, tall goldenrod.  Leaves of compass plant (one green, one gold), more Allegheny blackberry.  Dogwood, asters.

# # # # #

I finished quilting Go Scrappy or Go Home (see last Wednesday's post).  It didn't take long for me to start something new.

  I was mindful of the advice that Lynn (Klein Meisje) gave in the workshop back in April about combining genres and prints -- pay attention to contrast rather than genre and it will all go together.  

I used a lot of 6.5" squares acquired from years and years of the Baseball Swap. (It began in 1999. I don't think any of these were traded that far back though some of the prints are probably that old or older.)   

6.5" squares + 1.5 x 10" strips.  Blocks trim to 6.5" 

# # # # #


Eleanor Roosevelt and Mary McLeod Bethune began their long-time association and friendship in 1927 at a conference for leaders of women's organizations.   They advocated for civil rights, societal equity, and equal opportunity during the Depression and into World War II.  

Of course I'm familiar with Eleanor Roosevelt and her story from her challenging upbringing and challenging marriage, social and political activism, and her relationship with Lorena Hickcock.   I didn't know much at all about Mary McLeod Bethune who was also a trailblazing woman who founded an HBCU, founded the National Council of Negro Women, and was the first Black woman to head a federal department.   She was instrumental in changing the "Negro vote" from Republican to Democratic.  She never wavered in her ambition.  

Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray's second collaboration (after The Personal Librarian) is another winner! 

Linking up with Design Wall Monday  Oh Scrap!  Sew and Tell  

5 comments:

  1. Interesting advice about concentrating on contrast...I'm struggling just now with a scrappy quilt and wondering about the cohesiveness of what I'm putting together. Yours looks wonderful. Meanwhile, I am an Eleanor fan and have read several books about her. I have not heard of this relationship either. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting review....lovely wild flowers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy seeing where you've been walking! I like the design that your blocks make, and the advice about contrast is so good to remember. I haven't read The Personal Lbrarian yet, but it's on my hold list. The new one sounds good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another pretty scrappy quilt from your talented hands! Thank you for the book review. I'm always on the look out for a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You KNOW I had to examine every block (and diagonal running through it) to look for something I might have sent you through that swap!

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.