Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Midweek: go scrappy or go home!


 We've had a string of unusually warm days (80's) with full sunshine.  A cold front is coming through this afternoon and the temperatures will drop 20 degrees.  

Left:  the bumblebee was intent on the liatris (blazing star) as I snapped several photos.  


A 2' long eastern fox snake was crossing the path.  It curled up when I stomped.  The snake is not venomous.  It warns predators off by shaking its tail to mimic a rattlesnake.  I saw the behavior as it swished the gravel on the path.  Then it slithered into the undergrowth.  


I found another fringed gentian. Such a beautiful color! (And the fringes are cool.)

# # # # # 



At yesterday's Zion Woman's Club meeting we heard from the founder and coach of the  Razzle Dazzles Baton Twirling Corps.  They won the *world* championship in Liverpool, England, this summer.   ZWC also observed Banned Books Week. (I'm grateful to the club education chair for creating the table decorations.)  We collected supplies for a local elementary school's STEM project and canned goods for the food pantries.  

Last evening the Waukegan and Deerfield AAUW branches joined with the League of Women Voters-Lake County in hosting a Zoom meeting with Elizabeth Rochford who is the newest justice on the Illinois Supreme Court.  It was very informative. How much do any of us know about our state supreme courts?  

# # # # #     



On to quilting!  

I was in an online swap for scrappy string blocks.  The instructions were 9", pieced on paper.  (The Heartstrings blocks I've made for 10+ years are 9-1/2" on fabric foundations.)    Rather than consign this new batch to a box where they would linger for a very long time, I put them on the design wall.  They were SO varied--colors, prints, strip widths. What to do?   

Go scrappy or go home, I say.

The box of 2.5" HSTs provided just what I needed to increase the scrappiness.  (I trimmed the blocks to 8.5" so they finish at 8".)  

The border is a vintage print (36"w) from the estate sale I went to a couple of weeks ago.

Linking up with Wednesday Wait Loss Midweek Makers




11 comments:

  1. Love your mantra--go scrappy or go home! Looks like you found the perfect solution for those blocks. Kudos for not throwing them in a box to deal with later! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/10/04/wednesday-wait-loss-348

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love scrappy quilts because they remind me of my grandmothers who both were avid quilters. They had no other choice but to work with scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - go scrappy all the way! That's a beautiful quilt, Nann!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The triangles were a brilliant addition to that quilt. It made me look twice to see the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of my mother's stash remnants are 36". I remember the days when we rejoiced at the wider widths.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The HTSs are brilliant. Brilliant, I say!

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete
  7. HSTs were a very interesting addition to the string blocks. Great item to swap. I can imagine the variety of fabrics in the various blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quiltdivajulie - Go Scrappy or Go Home - what an awesome name for this wonderful quilt top!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The HSTs were an inspired addition to those blocks, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my - I love your scrappy string quilt with the HSTs so much!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.