Monday, August 7, 2023

Weekly update: Barbie, flowers, and a flimsy

 We saw the Barbie movie yesterday.  I reserved easier-to-get-to seats (see last week's post).  Stevens didn't get all of the references but he seemed to enjoy it.  I thought it was funny, thought-provoking, and delightfully over-the-top.   

When I was a child it was a big deal to have ONE Barbie.  Mine was blonde and my sister's was brunette.  We each had a few outfits -- Marcie M. who lived next door to us had ALL the outfits in the catalog, even the $5 ones!  


We had this knitting kit.  Efforts to make the garment were unsuccessful.    


We played the Barbie board game a lot.  The potential prom dates were Ken, Tom, Bob, and Poindexter.  

In the early 1990's my mother found my Barbie and sent her to me.   I gave her to a neighbor who was a Barbie collector.  




I was something of a contrarian.  I preferred my Tammy doll to Barbie.  More realistic, I thought at the time.  But dolls paled in comparison to other interests -- primarily reading anything in print.  

P.S. I never created a Weird Barbie (loved that character in the movie!)  but when I was 4 or so I used a crayon to draw a necklace on my Revlon doll.   In retrospect it was like a bad tattoo.


# # # # # # # #  

A friend recalled putting Queen Anne's lace in colored water and seeing the flowers absorb the tint.  (Technically, capillary action.) I had to go to the back of the top shelf of the cupboard to get the food coloring (can't recall when I last used them).  The change began in just a few minutes.  


Blackberries along the trail on my Saturday walk.  I picked three of the ripe ones (one for me, two for Stevens) -- very tart. 

# # # # # #

In the studio:    I didn't have enough of any one Australian print for a border.  I could have pieced little blocks or sewn piano keys but I searched the stash and found an African wax resist print with the same tones of gold and dark red.  (The big white flowers look blotchy in the photo and I will tolerate them.)  

64 x 80, 5 yards. 

The greige goods (unfinished fabric) for the African prints have a different hand from the Australian prints. 

I'm auditioning backings now.

Linking up with Design Wall Monday  Sew and Tell  Oh Scrap!

10 comments:

  1. I vaguely recall my sister and I making costumes for a couple of princess dolls that came with lovely evening gowns, though they were much shorter than Barbie. I don't believe we ever had either Barbie or Tammy dolls. The summer rec program at the town park always had a doll costume contest, so one summer we dressed one doll in a button dress and the other was clothed in the Sunday color comics. Don't recall ever winning any ribbons but it was fun. Your Australian/African prints quilt is extra special and really lovely. I shall have to see if there are any food colorings in the top cupboard to try dyeing some of the plentiful Queen Anne's Lace growing along the creek. A good project for a "wanna-be rainy" but so far unsuccessful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbie came out when I was just married. I married into a family with nieces 5, 6, and 8 so I bought my first Barbie so I could fit the clothes I made for the nieces. She has the bubble hairdo.
    I think the African and Australian fabrics look good together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i never had barbie, i had ginny dolls...my daughter had barbies but sadly gave them all a haircut...lol...she had oodles of clothes, many hand knit by a friend. loving that flimsy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never had a Barbie [uhh.. after my "time" ;)))] My daughter was not into dolls--she was an outdoorsy gal and collected rocks--yep--we had shoeboxes of them in the bottom of her closet...different strokes, right?
    But, my granddaughters loved Barbies --they had the trailer, the house-- you name it...after a couple years, though, their interest moved on to other things...reading, horses, etc. I wonder what happened to all the Barbies???
    I really like the muted colors in your flimsy--nice work hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had Barbie dolls but I thought Tammy was really nice too. She has such a sweet face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember poking ball-headed sewing pins into the sides of my Barbie's head as earrings. I learned the ins and outs of garment construction by sewing my Barbie's clothes, possibly on my Singer model 10 (clamped to the table). When I plowed through all my mother's patterns, I started borrowing patterns from my friend's mothers. My biggest lesson: those straight-of-grain arrows are Very Important when working with stripes.

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a Sindy although I pined for a Barbie. Santa came through, my grandma and mother made so many clothes for the new Barbie and then young me had a go too. I sold all the sewing patterns decades ago but I still have the Barbie and her clothes including the pvc muff with fur trim and big wonky stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't have a Barbie when I was a kid and much preferred baby dolls. Luckily my bestest friend liked the same things so there was no envy. Now I'm wondering if our wee grandie will be a 'doll' person or whether she'll be a tomboy. Could very well be the latter because she has two older brothers.
    Be carefull with picking Queen Anne's lace because there's a look-alike out there called GIant Hogweed that is not fun to come in contact with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awe, thanks for sharing your Barbie Memories! I still have my barbie outfits (many homemade) and my 2 doll cases. How fun to tint the Queen's Anne Lace. I wonder how I can get it grow in my yard. I'll have to look into that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We watched the Barbie movie in July. Paul liked it more than I did :-) I didn't grow up with a Barbie. I can relate to picking fruits (and eating them) on my walks, much to Paul's horror :-D Tinting those blooms with food dyes - that sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.