Sunday, July 9, 2023

Weekly update: two-and-a-half goals

 

Our walks this week were along the lakefront and to Old School and Raven's Glen West forest preserves.  There were two or three rainy spells which have greened everything up nicely.

Clockwise from left:  butterfly on Canada thistle, vervain, false Solomon's Seal, wild avens, self-heal, milkweed, butterfly weed.   Prairie pinnate coneflower in the center.


Every summer the Zion Park District hosts free concerts at the band shell in Shiloh Park.    This week we enjoyed Dancing Queen, a Chicago-based Abba tribute band.  They sang for 1-1/2 hrs without a break. They were really good.

The weather was great and there was a good crowd.  Our friend Kathy joined us.

(ZPD's June 29 concert featured the annual fireworks but I completely forgot about that.   People in the neighborhood shot off firecrackers well into the night on July 4.)

# # # # # #

Last week I listed five quilting goals for July.  I'm pleased to report that I have completed two and have the third halfway done.

1)  Two small quilts for Nancy's project -- finished and mailed on Saturday.  I had a bag of colorful HSTs and sewed them into pinwheels.  I made the pink stars earlier this year (RSC February) with HSTS left over from Rhododendron Trail.  [That's the abandoned quilt that keeps on giving.  I gave the flimsy to Pat (see the finish here) and I pieced the other left overs into this flimsy.]

2)  String blocks for an online swap.  Three blocks for each of 9 participants = 24 to send and 3 to keep.  The instructions specified paper foundations and 9" unfinished blocks.  A Road Scholar catalog (11 x 17) is printed on paper that's easy to tear away. 





1/2)   A set of summer placemats.  I have them pieced and basted as of Sunday evening.  


Linking up with Oh Scrap! Sew and Tell  Design Wall Monday


7 comments:

  1. wow great projects...every one a winner! oh, i had solomon's seal in my yard....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Love the wildflowers! The quilts are wonderful, especially love the star quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You've been busy this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wildflowers and a free outdoor concert - sounds like an excellent summer weekend. The pinwheel and star quilts are both so cute. I'm sure they'll be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful flowers on your walks!! and awesome concerts - that sounds like a fun event.
    your two quilts are adorable and will bring smiles!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I envy your parts department. Although if I would look more closely I bet I have some parts that would make into a nice quilt. What size were the HSTs in your pinwheels? I also hope to put together a top or two at retreat for Nancy's project. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been busy! I didn't know online swaps were still going - particularly with the cost of postage these days. Good to know! I used to love doing RAOK's but had to pretty much stop although I still sometimes will send a fabric postcard or a bookmark because they're usually light and thin enough not to cost too much.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.