Monday, March 13, 2023

Weekly update: spaghetti, some disassembly required + RSC green

 



This weekend was our Rotary spaghetti dinner.  We prepare and package meals and deliver them to the elderly, homebound, and community helpers -- 150 this year.

We used Memorial UMC's kitchen.    Chris and Lisa made the sauce on Thursday evening while Pamela and I began salad prep and cookie packaging.   Rotarians, Interactors (high school), and friends turned out on Saturday morning to assemble the meals (spaghetti and sauce, salad, a roll, and a cookie).  All delivered by noon!

# # # # #



In the studio:   a few weeks ago I posted a photo of the extra Christmas Star blocks from Rhododendron Trail.  (I miscounted and made 18 more blocks than needed!)   There was a thrift-shop sheet that was just right for the setting triangles and borders.   

Can you see what's wrong?  Look at the setting triangles in the upper right.  Yes, they are stained.  Once you see them you'll see that the second triangle on the left is stained. And on the bottom. And a chunk of border.  That must have been why the sheet was given to the thrift shop.


I had to fix it.  Fortunately there was enough for new triangles and a new border strip.  (That's my shadow, not a stain, at the lower right.)  

It can stay at the flimsy stage, but ready to quilt when its time comes.

# # # # #






The Rainbow Scrap Challenge color for March is green.

A guild charity quilt kit included a ziploc bag with 5" green squares. I used them in the three placemats on the left.  [I referred Pat Speth's Nickel Quilts books (2003!) for these blocks.]

The three on the right use up the green units I made for RSC in 2019.  The lower center has RSC 2020 units. The upper center with curvy piecing is just-because.

# # # # #

I planned to take the Janome in for a cleaning while I was at QuiltCon.  Before I did that I took out the 301 to be sure I could use it.   Glad I checked because the 301 was frozen up.  I took the 301 in rather than the Janome.   It needed a new motor, and fortunately the shop had one on hand.  Just $39.95 for the motor plus the cleaning/service fee.   (And mumble-mumble about the fabric I found on the clearance shelves.)

The 301 was made in 1955. I paid $99 for it about 20 years ago.


Linking up with Oh Scrap!  Scrap Happy Saturday  Design Wall Monday



10 comments:

  1. That's a lot of spaghetti meals to prep, pack and deliver. Good job! How fortunate that there was enough of that sheet left to replace the stained sections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum spaghetti! It might be time to have that at home this week. Sorry for the work you had to do to remove the dark triangles and put it new. But the whole design looks great with those blocks. Hope it doesn't have to wait for long before it is out in the wild. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are always doing such interesting things! The spaghetti meals that you packaged and delivered are amazing. I love what you did with the Rhododendron Trail leftovers! So sorry you had to redo those borders because of the stains. Glad you got your 301 working again, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pretty flimsy...those older machines are solid....and easily fixable...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on getting your Rhod Trail top together and using some GREEN, Nann!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always worth having at least one spare machine although I don't think I'm wise enough to try the spare before I send the other for service.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aren’t we fortunate to be able to gather together to cook and help others again. You were also fortunate to get your machine repaired so quickly. I saw Preeti’s photo with you at QuiltCon. Another fortunate event; I only know you both online. Ann at Fret Not

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know...I swear that I have brought home thrift store sheets with no stains on them but if I let them sit around long enough when I go to use them I see stains on them just from sitting around. And sometimes the stains don't wash out either, darn it. Too bad you didn't notice before you had the pieces sewn together.

    I work off and on to get my hubby's grandmother's really old treadle machine working. I think it would be fun to use if ever I get it all working. What kind of shop did you take your machine to that had the motor as well as fabric on clearance shelves?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am amazed at the price of the repair - a new engine. My machine costs more than that just for an annual cleaning.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.