Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Midweek: seeing straight (but swans!) and goal 3 twice over

 I went to the ophthamologist Monday for a cataract evaluation.  Yes, the cataracts are advanced enough for surgery.  However, because I've worn contact lenses for so long (since 1966) my corneas are misshapen.  I have to wear only eyeglasses for six months, one month per decade of contacts.  That means surgery in January.   Eyeglasses-only will be a big challenge.  Not only do I dislike wearing them, but more importantly the progressive bi-focal glasses correct my vision differently from the contacts. It's especially hard to get a good angle for reading.  (As you know, for me reading is like breathing:  essential for life.)  Yes, I'll go to the optometrist to see about adjusting my specs.

On the bright side, I can see distances adequately in bright daylight, and I can walk -- and yesterday there was a trio of swans at Sand Pond.

Stevens could see them from his seat in the car.



And Turk's cap lilies are in bloom!  I had to twist the stem gently to take the underside photo (upper right). 

The wild ones are much smaller than the cultivated variety.

# # # # # 
In the studio:  one of my July goals was to make a set of two placemats.  I made one set and then I made another.   










They go well with our summer dishes, Summer Chintz (Johnson Bros.) 

The other two goals -- the guild challenge and "something red" will be one project, now on the design wall.



8 comments:

  1. I imagine getting used to the glasses again will be a challenge, but I hope you adjust! After my cataract surgery in January of this year, I briefly thought about going without glasses and just using readers for reading, but I'm so used to having glasses on my face that I didn't like the readers - put them on, take them off, and over again. So I ended up with prescription glasses again - but a very different prescription from before the surgery! Pretty placemats - they're perfect for your dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the switch to glasses and the delay in surgery. Hopefully you can get the glasses fixed so you can read, that would drive me crazy too. Very fun placemats. Happy stitching on your other projects this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your optometrist can help you get the right adjustment so you can read until the surgery. Love those pretty swans! Can't wait to see what you're doing for your guild challenge. Those placemats look like they go well with your dishes. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/07/12/wednesday-wait-loss-336

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure it will be a big adjustment for you to get used to the glasses. I can't imagine you not reading!! Love the placemats and the swans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The swans always appear so calm and peaceful. Your placemats are lovely. It's hard making time or summoning the energy to make the small utilitarian pieces. The dresser in our dining room needs a runner and there's plenty of fabric in the stash ... someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My winter dishes is Johnson Brothers' Friendly Village. I have a couple pieces of yours that I got at the thrift shop as I like that too. Perfect for summer. Love the placemats and sweet swans. Glad you are getting your eyesight all sorted. It will be worth the nuisance in the end. I don't have to tell you how important this is of course. .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to wear contacts all the time (the hard versions, that's how long ago it was) and I simply couldn't do the switch back and forth between glasses and contacts. I got a new eye dr. and he had a fit when he realized I didn't let my eyes 'breathe' every day by switching out to glasses for at least an hour. I have a rare form of astigmatism which was the underlying reason I couldn't use both (can't use binoculars either). Finally I went back to glasses and have the progressives which I like. Had my cataracts done last year.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.