Sunday, June 11, 2023

Weekly update: Shining Light

 The name Eleanor means "shining light."  And thus the quilt I made with the African wax resist prints from Ellie's estate named itself.   (See the Friday's post for the fabric story and this post for more about our friend.)   

It's quilted and bound.  66" x 75".  

I outline-quilted the motifs in the prints and quilted a curving line in the tone-on-tones.


The back. 

It was chilly and rainy today so I declared it a sewing day.  (Not much rain, but any amount is welcome right now.) 

9 comments:

  1. "As you know so well, the passage of time never really heals the tragic memory of such a great loss but we carry on, because we have to, because our loved one would want us to and because there is still light to guide us in the world from the love they gave us." That was the shining light that I first thought of, I used the quote (Ted Kennedy to a 9/11 widow) at the end of my husban's eulogy. Ellie's light continues to shine bright and clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline, what a beautiful statement. Thanks for sharing it.

      Delete
  2. What a great tribute to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some great African fabrics in that quilt. Very nice use of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a lot of the african fabrics i've seen are dark but these are wonderfully light and a fitting memorial..

    ReplyDelete
  5. A perfect way to feature these special fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fabulous fabrics. I have some fabrics that a customer sent to me from Africa. I have been too busy yet to do much with them, but I pet them every time I get into the closet where they are stored. Thanks for sharing in the Sew & Tell party.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.