Friday, June 9, 2023

Friday check in: ins and outs

 Car update:  the right control arm had failed.  I had never heard of that part and looked it up.  The control arms are one of the core components of a suspension system and serve as the direct connection points between the front wheel assemblies and the vehicle's frame. The control arms allow a driver to steer a car while also guiding the wheels up and down with the road surface. Although they are simplistic in appearance, control arms have a vital role in a vehicle's overall stability and drivability.    $943.95.  

# # # # #  

IN

Our dear Magpie friend 
Ellie loved ethnic fabrics and bright colors.  She passed away in March.  The estate sale was at the end of May at her house in Maine.  $5.00 per pound -- what a deal!   

Ellie's and my mutual friend Bonnie (whom I know because she's a librarian) planned to attend and I asked if she could go shopping for me.  I authorized her to spend $100 (plus postage) and asked for any shweshwe indigo and African wax resist.  "I trust your judgment," I told her.   The box arrived last Friday, just before I left for the convention.  I've washed and ironed it all.   Thank you Ellie, and daughter Jennifer, and friend Bonnie!


The descriptors on the selvages are interesting.

# # # # #






OUT AND IN

The AAUW summer luncheon was Tuesday. Betsy was the high bidder for the quilt that I donated. (This is the third quilt she's won.  I am flattered.)  

We have the luncheon at Lambs Farm , a vocational agency for developmentally disabled adults. The thrift shop next door to the restaurant is always worth a visit.  


My $14 purchase:  never-used souvenirs.  Two batik runners, a batik tablecloth and twelve napkins [card table size so why twelve?], all with the Balinese product labels still affixed.   A set of Scandinavian table linens (real linen) --placemats and three runners.  

I have acquired a number of batik tablecloths, placemats, and napkins. I've used precisely one as a quilt back.  

# # # # #

OUT

This month's guild meeting was the annual Raffle Mania fundraiser.   Members bring no-longer-loved quilting items including fabric, notions, and patterns. We get free tickets for the number of meetings we attended this year (11 for me) and could buy more (I spent $20 for 30).  It's a bucket or put-and-take raffle -- put tickets in the bags next to each item for those you want.  

I contributed 200 yards of fabric from my stash, culled without anxiety (really!) and bagged by color (plus Christmas).   I also bagged 80 patterns from Dorothy's destash.  


IN
   

At the guild rummage sale a few months ago there was a books-for-sale table. More people brought books than bought them.  Three or four of those leftover books were placed under each raffle mania item. The winner had to take the books as well as the item.


Here's what I brought home.  

The fabric weighed 27-1/2 lbs, so 110 yards (remember, I contributed 200 yards).   There were five packages of ink-jet printer fabric sheets.  Some of the take-these-home-or-else books are new to me.  


And, SQUEE!  I got the fabric I really, really wanted.  Australian aboriginal prints -- 27 FQs and 32 F8ths!   

They were all packaged together. Wonder what happened to the 28th FQ.

# # # # #





OUT

Last evening (Thursday) I began playing with the African prints.  Here's the work-in-progress.  


Linking up with Finished or Not Friday

Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?     Peacock Party


11 comments:

  1. I have one of those aboriginal prints, I remember where I bought it from in the late 1990s. This is usually where I say that I never find anything good in thrift stores except I recently came home with a double duvet cover, part of which is already a quilt back. Maybe one day I'll find batik runners, I'd be happy with a good flat sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such awesome additions to your stash. I do love those Aborginal prints. There used to be a wonderful shop in Hot Springs SD that specialized in them. Sadly, the shop was a total loss in a fire a few years ago and I don't believe they ever re-opened. But one shop in New Ulm MN carries a lot of them. I can't resist when I stop there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to have such fun with all those African and Aboriginal fabrics! Looking forward to seeing what you make from them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh what fabulous fabrics you've added to your stash and great thrift store finds! Glad you didn't get far with the car and could steer well enough to make it safely back home. I've never heard of that part either. Betsy must be a big fan of yours! I worked for several years at a vocational center for developmentally disabled adults while I was finishing my college degree with some night classes and correspondence courses-- ARC of RI County, IL. I loved the job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. if i need a new computer because excess drool ruined it, it will be all your fault nann! oooh those african wax resist fabrics are gorgeous....and oh those aboriginal fabrics too...uh oh...zap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what fun shopping "with" you - great stuff! The car part is new to me too, and costly! More costly not to have it, for sure.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great selection of fabrics! I love the piece you are working on now! Wow! You used up 200 yards and still have stash left! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness, Nann. You always find delights at estate and rummage sales. I was sorry to hear of Ellie’s passing but her fabrics will be an extra memory for you. Ann at Fret Not

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did really well on both the out and in fronts. I like you dived right into those African prints and started a new project. Happy stitching this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you lucked out with all the 'ins' you've recorded and managing to get rid of more than you brought in is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! there is a lot of super cool fabric in this post!! the ins and the outs!!!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.