Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Midweek: pneumonia front + the corollary, and the flimsy


Yesterday we experienced a weather phenomenon called a pneumonia front.  From AccuWeather:  
 A pneumonia front is a localism originating from the midwestern U.S. that describes when cold air over Lake Michigan rushes inland, causing templates to drop dramatically. The rapid decline in temperature can also be accompanied by clouds and rain showers.

When I was on the trail it was 80 degrees -- a lovely spring afternoon.   We got home and in minutes the temperature dropped to 60! 


Clockwise:  wild strawberries, blue-eyed grass, starry false lily of the valley, wild geranium (aka cranesbill), apple blossom.





A butterfly (at the vegetable/flower shop).  A snail along the trail, first I've ever seen.


# # # # # # #   On to the quilting front:


You know the saying, "Measure twice, cut once."   My corollary is, "Design twice, sew once."  

I did not follow that advice with this project.  I thought there'd been enough of the gray stripe I chose for sashing.  I cut all that I had (3-1/2" x 8-1/2").  I sewed sashes and blocks to make rows.  I sewed the horizontal sashes (stripe plus red) -- until I ran out, 8 sashes short.   I had another gray in the same tone, but not a stripe, and it looked....out of place.  I determined three options:   (1)  make the quilt smaller (5 x 6 blocks rather than 6 x 7), (2) use the out-of-place gray, (3) rip and re-sash.   

I chose (3) with a gray-on-white print (actually one of the bed sheets I got at the thrift shop last week) 

Blocks are 8" finished.   Flimsy is 60 x 80.    6 yards by weight.

Pattern:  Geo Chic by Homestead Hearth in McCall's Quick Quilts, D/J 2014. 

Linking up with  Midweek Makers  Wednesday Wait Loss




  Thanks for the shout-out on today's WWL!

8 comments:

  1. I've never heard of a pneumonia front before, Nann - interesting! Sounds like you timed your walk just right. It's too bad about that original sashing - I liked the look of the stripes. But you made it work anyway, and it will be a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of a pneumonia front, so I've learned something new again today. Thx!! I probably would have chosen the same as you - to rip and redo those sashings. The finished product is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad about the stripe it was perfect....but done is good too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting to know about the pneumonia front - never heard of it before. So sorry you had to rip the quilt but I suspect you wouldn't have liked it otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer the white to the grey anyway. You like sewing, sewing it twice is just more sewing. (No, I don't believe that either although I've been using it for knitting for decades)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh! That must have been painful. But the result is really lovely so it's a win! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nann, you had me scared when I saw Pneumonia in your title! Glad it was the weather and not you! I like the fabric you ended up choosing for this piece. It makes the colors sing more! Wishing you a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pneumonia Front - learn something new everyday! Love your quilt. So simple with QSTs, sashing and cornerstones. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.