Monday, May 22, 2023

Weekly update: Bound to be orange + pinwheel rescue

I’m composing this post on my iPad and cannot cut-and-paste to edit.  Please bear with me!

I spilled a mug of coffee on my computer yesterday morning.  I got a Geek Squad appointment at Best Buy at 12:20 where I was told that with a 7-year-old laptop it was toast.  They only had a floor model of the new version but another store had one, so we drove another 15 miles to pick it up, then dropped it off at the first Best Buy.  “Estimate five days for the data transfer and set up,” the Geek Squad woman said.  Ugh!    But to my relief I got a call at 7:30 p.m. (while I was at the Razzle Dazzles bunco fundraising dinner) saying that the computer is ready.   I’ll get it this afternoon.

Afternoon update:   Geek Squad transferred everything to the new computer and I'm back in business!  (And I was able to connect the printer myself.)  



The Razzle Dazzles are our local baton twirling corps.  They’re going to the world championship competition in Liverpool this summer.  The Zion Woman’s Club members helped with serving the dinner.   We stayed to play, too, and got some pointers for our own bunco party in the fall.   Of the 100 or so people (a ladies’ night out so all women and the RDs themselves) I was the high scorer!  I got to pick a prize — an Amazon gift card.  



I donated a quilt to the raffle. 

# # # # 


In the studio:  GeoChic is finished — bound in orange for this month’s RSC.   




I sewed left over triangles from the hourglass units into HSTs and used most of them on the back.

The jumbo dot fabric is a thrift shop sheet. 


  I took a cue from Cathy L about practicing a different FMQ design — this is a leaf.


A month ago I made pinwheels and square-in-squares out of CW reproduction fabrics.  The pattern alternated units.  I didn’t like the way they mushed together so I tried some alternate settings.  I still wasn’t happy so I set them aside. 

 Having too many works-in-progress bothers me and I decided to give these PW/SIS another look.  Here’s what happened!   68 x 84, 6-1/8 yards used.  




And I have units left over.  


 Linking up with Design Wall Monday

9 comments:

  1. Oh no! I live in fear of that very thing happening to my computer. At least mine is a desktop model so all I'd stand to lose would hopefully be just the keyboard. You'll have fun learning all the new bells & whistles on your new laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your finished top. Sorry to hear about your coffee accident!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good reminder. My laptop is long overdue for backing up, so I'll do that right now!
    Your PW/SIS is gorgeous!

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I really like that GeoChic quilt. I get way too many ideas from you that I don't seem to get finished (or started sometimes!). I have a whole lot of 3.5" unfinished blocks made from 3.5 x 1.5" strips. I will be pulling those out someday to color balance them.... Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of fun things there! I was given a new computer for Christmas and I've yet to really use it because getting all the "good" stuff transferred seems daunting. Plus I need to order EQ8 to go on the new computer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, glad you had a safe and speedy recovery! Ugh, I can't imagine the horror after you spilled the coffee. The PW/SIS sure make a neat design. Very creative! And kudos to you on new FMQ. I do have leaves in my repertoire (and muscle memory). I've never tried mixing a sheet with other fabrics for a backing. Evidently it works fine so I'll have to give that a try one of these days because it seems the sheets I have are never quite the right size.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yes the pinwheels redo is great! glad you are techno sound again...

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOTS of adventures this week - glad the results were good for seemingly all of them. QDJulie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man - switching computers can be such a hassle. Glad it went well for you. Love that GeoChic quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.