Sunday, April 2, 2023

Weekly update: stash report, it's a flimsy!, and OMG for April

 

On Saturday morning we two Rotarians enjoyed Kiwanis pancakes at the Moose Lodge.  I quipped that we were practicing cultural diversity.   (The pancakes were good and it was great to see so many folks we know.  I bought raffle tickets but didn't win anything.)  

# # # # # #

I surprised myself when I did the stash report calculations.

March IN 107-7/8, $123 (93 yards were gifts)

March OUT  112 yards (sold 35; gave away 28)

YTD IN:  233-1/2, $632, avg  $2.70 per yard

YTD OUT: 213-1/2   net gain 20 yards

For nearly a decade I swapped 3-1/2" nine-patches.  I've used a lot of them but I still have two shoeboxes full.   A pattern called To the Nines by Mandy Leins came to the top of the stack of torn-out-of-magazines patterns and bang! there was my next project.   I used two grays for the setting and made blocks until I used up all of the darker one.  

Having the nine-patches on hand speeded up the process considerably.

I added a strip around the perimeter to keep the bias edges from stretching.

62 x 72.  



Here is a pre-constructed block. Partial seams are one of those 'advanced beginner' techniques that, once learned, greatly expand design possibilities.






And I have already sewn and trimmed all the cutaway triangles. (I have hundreds of these 1-1/2" HSTs.)  

# # # # # 

My OMG for April:

(a)  something purple for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 

(b)  12 daisy-themed mug rugs for the ongoing P.E.O. project.  (My chapter sells two-ring vinyl yearbook covers.  A coupon for a mug rug is enclosed with each order of 6 or more binders.  I have only four mug rugs on hand.)

(c)  A non-quilting commission.  A friend asked if I could make drawstring bags for her five granddaughters using her wedding dress and her mother's wedding dress.  The 1970's dress is polyester; I'm not sure about the 1950's dress. Both were home-made.   The granddaughters are ages 5 to 17 so there is no immediate deadline.

# # # # # #

Linking up with Oh Scrap  OMG at Elm Street Quilts and  Design Wall Monday


P.S.  Speaking of home-made leads to hand-sewn which leads to Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris .  We'd intended to see it in the theater last summer but didn't get there.  It's now streaming on Amazon Prime and we saw it Saturday evening. It's charming!  


12 comments:

  1. Nice setting for the 9-patches. Looks much harder than it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 9 patch quilt! I had to look at your photo up close to realize that all the blocks are the same, but your dark and light grays make the design! Thanks for the movie recommendation - that sounds like one we'd like, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting pattern! Love the look of the light and dark grays! It gives it lots of movement and dimension!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your To The Nines blocks. What a great quilt. Isn't it nice to get out and see people? I need to check out that movie -- I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hats off to cultural diversity - even if it's just mixing the local civic groups. LOL I really like that "new" pattern with the pinwheels and the 9-patches. Very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely outing, beautiful quilt! That will be interesting to stitch something from the wedding dress. What a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a good idea to have aims for the month. I've spent so long not having time for myself that I have got out of planning things. I have no box of nine patches so won't be following you with that one. I don't have a mountain of HSTs either as I've sewn them all into stars.

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice - It reminds me of 45 records LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your To the Nines quilt. It has a beautiful retro look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your To The Nines quilt - excellent setting for 9 patches and the 2 grays really make the colors pop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Setting those blocks on point really adds to the complexity of the quilt. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.