Friday, March 3, 2023

QuiltCon, part 1

 

The Magpies had planned  to meet at the 10th QuiltCon in Atlanta February 23-26.  In the end only Anna and I went.  We had the same ORD-ATL flights (we live 95 miles apart at opposite ends of  Chicagoland).  Our hotel was just two blocks from the convention center.

We had a grand time!  We went to interesting lectures, met new people, shopped a lot at the vendor mall, and saw quilts.  Boy, did we see quilts.  We also took a day to be tourists.

The lectures:   Teresa Duryea Wong talked about quilt collecting.  Modern quilts are as much of a collecting field as traditional quilts.  The International Quilt Museum now owns more than 35 modern quilts.  She said that quilt makers are well-suited to be quilt collectors because we know what goes into making them.  

(Photo from Teresa's lecture. Joanna Rose had more than 6000 quilts in her collection, including the red-and-white that were on exhibit in New York in 2011.)

Carole Lyles Shaw talked about Sustainable Stash Management.  Buy (or acquire) with intention.  Support local shops.  Shop your stash first and make creative substitutions.  We all nodded with the "excuses" she cited:  "Too pretty to cut.  I need the right project.  Too good to give away.  Save it for someday. But it's my fabric collection!  I need that tool/pattern/book to make me a better quilter."   Her program is an online, on-demand course here).  

Candra Parker talked about Harriet Powers as an 19th century modern quilter.  One of Powers' quilts is in the Smithsonian and the other is at MFA in Boston.  The Bible quilt was reproduced in the early 1990's -- made-in-China import -- and Parker has found those reproductions marketed on Ebay as authentic (though they come in different sizes).   The repros are in the *faded* colors, not the original colors (which were very vibrant). An interesting caveat emptor situation.

Sandra Chandler talked about early African-American quiltmakers, including Harriet Powers among others.  She concluded by posing with her quilt. What a great message!









Anna and I met Karen Bolan as we waited to enter the opening session on Wednesday.  We had dinner with her and her aunt (a quilter) that evening.  After getting to know her we had to attend her lecture, "Engineer Your Quilts."   Karen is a civil engineer and takes that approach to design.  

Here's Karen with her show entry, "The Good Story." 




Chawne Kimber (pronounced "Shawn") gave the keynote on Saturday.   Her quilts were a special exhibit at the show.   She has been part of MQG since its inception.   She puts text (pieced letters) in her quilts.   




This was purchased by the Smithsonian.


Her message.   





Her quilts.  (But I love you is designed as a selfie-image.   I Can't Breathe is owned by Michigan State University. 



4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Nann, for posting the Chawne stuff. QuiltCon attendees from my guild want to start a conversation and those of us who weren't present and didn't hear the keynote are kind of in the dark. Now I've got something to chew on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure who you are -- email me and I can provide more about Chawne's presentation.

      Delete
  2. I just finished reading all four of your posts about QuiltCon, and it sounds like you had a great time! I'm sorry we didn't manage to connect while you were in town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fabulous time!! I love looking at the art and creativity of others - just blows me away. Here is my question tho ( and not a snarky one) how does one store 6000 quilts? and how to you keep it climate controlled? I think that is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.