Sunday, February 19, 2023

Weekly update: pink and a lot more!

 


Friday, 6:30 a.m.:  I shoveled the driveway and front walk before I'd had any coffee!   We got about 3" from the storm.  (Milwaukee, 45 miles north, got 9".)








Saturday evening we enjoyed the Lake County Symphony Orchestra's performance of Mahler's Symphony No. 1.  



I enjoyed a long, albeit muddy walk on Sunday afternoon.  Upper left:  beaver lodge.  Lower right:  horsetails greening up and dogwood reddening up.


# # # # #




Friday afternoon I delivered the I Spy baby quilt to Eva, the baby's great-great-grandmother.  Eva is 92 and still lives on her own!  We had a lovely visit.   She was delighted with the quilt.  

# # # # #




I sewed, trimmed, and pressed all the cut-away corners from the I Spy blocks.  Rather than put them in a ziplock bag I kept sewing. These little stars are 4-1/2" unfinished.  




Speaking of ziplock bags, I found leftovers from Rhododendron Trail.  The HSTs are 1.5" and the stars are 4-1/2" .  Voila -- my RSC for February!




More Rhododendron Trail left overs:  I miscounted when I made the star blocks -- 18 blocks too many.  Here's a possible layout on the design wall.








Another ziploc bag held pairs of triangles left over from Labyrinth Walk  I've sewn and trimmed them. (2-1/2").  I have an idea for using them.....


Linking up with  Design Wall MondayScrap Happy Saturday , and Oh Scrap!

P.S.  This weekend the American Quilt Study Guild held Winter Study Centers.  I signed up for two Zoom sessions.   "Finding Community in Quilt Stories" was about the way that quilts are used in picture books.  "True Crime Obsessions: Clues in the Patchwork" was about Iowa writer Susan Glaspell's one-act play "Trifles" based on a murder she covered when she was a journalist.  She later wrote a short story, "A Jury of Her Peers" based on the play.    Early 20th-century feminism, quilt blocks included.

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad the snow removal went well and LOVE the yellow in your quilt! I'm going to try and remember to use more yellow...I love how it pops in the eye spy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good idea to use the cut off corners straight away rather than putting them in a bag for thirty years until the right project comes along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow sewpalooza! i love those yellow stars AND the pink ones as well...you are a sewing tornado! thanks for showing the white stuff...reminds me what it looks like....LOL...cheer up, spring is on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those tiny yellow stars, and the tiny pink stars!!! So cute!!! And 18 blocks too many on the RT?! You were really enjoying yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rhododendron quilt will be taken to a local longarmer soon,, and will be ready for this year's camp auction. Eighteen extra blocks!! You really enjoyed making that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our three inches of snow only stayed around for a day, thank goodness. Gosh, you look like you are having fun with lots of bits and pieces. AND, I think I know where your QOV Churn Dashes from a couple of posts ago got off to now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had a well-rounded week, from the symphony to walking, to quilting! Happy life!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.