Monday, February 13, 2023

Weekly update: bits and pieces

 

On Friday we had lunch with our friends Ann and John at Hackney's in Glenview. Stevens and Ann were kindergarten classmates in Summit, NJ, in 1945. Ann is a wonderful keeper-in-touch and found us through Rotary several years ago. I hadn't been to Hackney's since I was in high school.

AAUW-Waukegan Area Branch met in person (yay!) on Saturday.  The program was about the African-American Museum at the England Manor in Waukegan.  After her presentation we all look forward to touring it.

I stopped at three thrift shops on my way home from the AAUW meeting and scored four cotton sheets, 13 yards, for $13.00.   This care label was on one of them.  Read through to the end. 





# # # # # #

In the studio:    I made 36 12" churn dash blocks for a QOV block drive.




64 4.5" (unfinished) I Spy blocks for the baby quilt I'm making on commission.   When I add inner/outer borders it will be about 44" x 44".   


Linking up with Design Wall Monday and Oh Scrap!




P.S.   Unusually warm temperatures + abundant sunshine = no excuse for not walking!  

The trail at Lyons Woods alternated stretches of muddy gravel and ice so I had to step carefully.


This single red berry caught the afternoon sun just so when I walked at Spring Bluff yesterday.


10 comments:

  1. That label is funny! Love your I Spy blocks with that pretty background color. Looks like lovely weather for a hike, but watch that ice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well someone has a sense of humor...LOL...nice photo of you all...love the i spy...eww that pathway looks dodgy...spring here this week with 60s and sun....oh yeah i like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to reconnect with people from our childhood. That was the case with connecting again with my cousin in Tucson. As adults we were never back in our fathers' hometown at the same time. So the last time we had seen each other was 1969 at grandpa's funeral. I really love your I-Spy quilt - and that funny label on the sheet you bought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is one shape I hadn't thought of using for an I Spy quilt. I really like it and may borrow the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious label! :D Love that I-spy layout! Love the photo of you two and your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That label is a hoot! Maybe you could include it on the back of one of your comfort quilts especially if you know the recipient has a sense of humor. I love the bright cheery colors of your latest I-spy top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weird sheet label! I'd like to meet the person who thought of that. And what a cute I Spy quilt. I think the yellow background is wonderful with those novelties.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of your I spy blocks is askew (four rows up, three from the right). I made six or seven quilts like this with a similar background although my blocks were bigger. I have no idea what I did with the quilts but I'm looking at a bag full of the HSTs I made from the cut off corners.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the sheet label, too funny! Those I Spy blocks are really cute. Glad that you could get out for a walk, though it does look sloppy. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the laugh. It’s nice to see corporate senses of humor.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.