Sunday, October 16, 2022

Weekly update: it's a finish!



Fall colors at Van Patten Woods on Friday afternoon.  Left: sumac. Right: white snakeroot or bone set (gone to seed).  Center:  hickory nuts.  Bottom: Virginia creeper, fungus on a log. 






We enjoyed oldies sung by the Saddle Shoe Sisters on Friday evening at our church.   (The acoustics are better in the sanctuary than in the fellowship hall. And the pews are more comfortable than metal folding chairs.)

# # # # #





UPDATE:  Linking to the Elm Street Quilts  OMG Finish



In the studio:  it's a finish!  

The pattern is Entwined by Evelyn Sloppy from her book Forty Fabulous Quick-Cut Quilts.

I used a batik and two hand-dyes (all gifts from a friend) for the back.  


There's a new project on the design wall.  The  Parts and Orphans Dept. has a subset for batiks. That bin was filling up so I put a few units up on the wall.  One thing led to another and another.   I'm thinking of piecing three or four panels separated by long sashes, The sash width will depend on what I' have on hand.  

Linking up with Oh Scrap!   Design Wall Monday

14 comments:

  1. oh those orphans are getting a lovely home! love that entwined!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you have me wanting to sort through my batik Orphan blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great arrangement of those orphan blocks! I love the movement of Entwined!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I love that "2 color" quilt. It looks like a Bargello construction. I'm visioning it in black/grey/white!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sometimes put a strip of ophans across a back but fortunately don't have enough to consider a big piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evelyn Sloppy is right. That is a fabulous quilt. I find it very difficult to just work with two colors in a quilt especially if the two colors are the same fabric.

    The last couple of years wild Snakeroot has popped up in my gardens. After I identified it I read that it causes milk sickness and supposedly Lincoln's mother died from it. I have a couple of old herbals and like to see if there are any good uses for plants (wildflowers??) that pop up now and again. Virginia creeper pops up too but I try to stop it before it creeps. I had to laugh one year when I saw it for sale at grocery store nursery.

    Playing in the orphanage looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Several campers showed Entwined that they had finished from last year's camp. Coincidentally, I got out my parts and orphans bin last night. I'm going to offer them to Devo members to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your finished quilt. And have fun playing in your batik parts and orphans department.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Entwined is wonderful, Nann! I enjoyed following along as the different blocks came together to create that interesting design. That's a fun collection of parts from your batiks department!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Entwined is great. Looking forward to what you do with the pieces from the orphanage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is pretty amazing. It reminds me of Escher's drawings.
    You have some fun orphan blocks on the wall. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Entwined is lovely! I love the backing as well! What a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Entwined quilt is awesome! It's always fun to see what you are making. I can't wait to see how the batik orphans come together.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.