Friday, August 26, 2022

Friday check in: it's not Ohio star

 After the four-patch homespuns (see Wednesday's post) I still had a box of 4.5" homespun squares. I also had a heap of homespun scraps.  I found several yards of cream muslin.   I used the homespun and the muslin to make a bunch of 3.5" hourglass units. 

 Sure, I could put them in a box to stew for a while. Maybe a long, long while.  Instead I recalled a magazine pattern from years ago called "It's Not Ohio Star!"  


 This is the initial layout.  (I thought about using 3.5" nine-patches instead of the 3.5" squares but the effect was too busy.) 








Rather than assemble the units row by row, or column by column, I realized that they ARE Ohio stars with sashing.  

Here are two star blocks and one vertical sashing unit.

Stay tuned!


Linking up with Finished or Not Friday

. . .  and now I'm off to work the first shift at the church rummage sale.



11 comments:

  1. What a FUN use of those homespun scraps and squares! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see already those hourglass units are going to take every opportunity to turn on you! Take care!! This is going to be a yummy quilt.

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete
  3. great way to use the scraps so there are fewer scraps! very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow I love this, makes me wantta go play with my mounds and mounds of homespun. I always say someday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohio Star is one of my favorite blocks! And in homespun, be still my beating heart! Can't wait to see this finished looks fabulous now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely, Nann! Good for you, coming up with a beautiful plan for using those scraps up right away (instead of stuffing them in a drawer like I would and then wondering why my scraps are accumulating out of control!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I said I was looking forward to what you would do with those homespun squares. I certainly never imagined this. How unusual - overlapping Ohio Stars. What a neat effect. You sure are making good use of magazine patterns too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOh you brilliant woman! I love how you are using these Nann!!! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh That is cool!!! Everywhere you look you see the stars, but each time the star could be different!!! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.