Monday, August 29, 2022

Weekly update: explorations and homespun stars

 Our field trips this week included three forest preserves and a state park. We hadn't been to Marl Flat  or  Chain o' Lakes before.   I've done seven out of the fourteen sites for the 2022 Hike Lake County challenge. (It began August 15 and goes through November.)




Coneflower, compass plant, lobelia.

Sumac, wild cucumber, gray dogwood.

Common reed, elderberry "lace" (after the birds have eaten the berries), ragweed. 

 My Friday morning shift at the church rummage sale wasn't terribly busy. The event chair said they had good traffic Thursday evening and made $698.  As a volunteer my purchases were 50% off.  I got a yard of woven plaid (no wonder my homespun stash doesn't seem diminished), a 64 x 82 tablecloth of quilt-weight cotton just right for a back, and a couple of other goodies for $3.75. 

Yesterday I enjoyed  Sunday brunch with a long-time friend. We had not visited in person for several years.  No photos!  We talked the whole time  On my way home I observed the Crane family doing a Seurat . Grande Jatte impression. 

In the studio:   It's Not Ohio Star is assembled.  I may or may not add a narrow border.  The units are 3" finished.  63 x 69.


# # # # #

I have been reading! I will have a BOTW (Books of the Week, or in this case Books of the WeekS) in a day or two.

# # # # # 

Linking up with Oh Scrap!  Monday Making  Design Wall Monday


P.S. A perfect web shines in the forest-filtered sunlight at Chain O' Lakes State Park. 


11 comments:

  1. You have some beautiful places to explore in your county! Love the crane photo, too. The "Not an Ohio Star" quilt is a fun design! I liked seeing how you figured out the blocks the other day. Always look forward to seeing what you're reading. I'm reading Lessons in Chemistry, and enjoying it very much! Maybe I got the recommendation from you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have such interesting places to visit. Your crane photo made me realize that I should try to get some photos of the wild turkeys that pass through my yard a couple of times each day. We've enjoyed watching the turkey babies grow bigger each week. I love that Not Ohio Star quilt, and keep thinking that would be a great design to work on for RSC from my scraps. Hmmm - ideas, ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Sumac in the fall. It seems to be one of the first to start changing color and it lasts a while. That web is dazzling. I've never seen anything like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That spiderweb is amazing - it almost looks like a circular galaxy in outer space!😊. Thanks for recommending “Fellowship Point” - I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love your Not
    Ohio Star! Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many fun things in this post! I am always amazed and the number of parks and preserves you have in your area. Not Ohio Star is great! My personal preference would be for a solid border to frame it. And what a breathtaking spider web! I’m not a fan of spiders, but we can all admire their weaving skills!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to take a close look at not Ohio star. I love it. It looks like a great project to use your scraps. Very clever. Hum . . . I noticed my homespuns are still filling a sweater size box. I’ll have to figure something else out to try to use them up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How may I subscribe to your blog? I thought I was getting your entries but apparently I am not! Gladi mentioned you in today’s post so I came looking for you. Carol inTexas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, you are no-reply. I hope you'll get this post. You can follow me on Bloglovin', Feedly, or go to Blogger and "follow."

      Delete
  9. The crane family intrigues me. I usually see individuals walking or families in the trees. I've only seen groups like this when they are flying. Congratulations on helping at the rummage sale.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.