Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Midweek: Shoo-fly border

 


I got two blocks down the street on my errands yesterday and saw this red-tailed hawk having a squirrel for lunch. When I got out of the car to try to snap an even closer photo he lifted off, his meal firmly gripped in his talons.  

(BTW, that's the hood of my car in the photo. I picked it up from the body shop where it's been for three weeks. (We've been using Stevens' car in the meantime.)  Someone sideswiped the car when it was parked (photo here). Repair entailed replacing the rear side panel and the rear bumper. No clue who did it, but that vehicle would have sustained considerable damage, too.)


 



My dwindling 30's stash included a box of 2.5" (unf) HSTs.  I used most of them for the shoofly border.  The inner/outer borders used up nearly all of the 30's blue/blue print (Aunt Grace 20th Anniversary, per the selvage).  

The flimsy uses 6-1/8 yards by weight. 


Linking up with Midweek Makers.



P.S. I snapped this photo just before sunset last evening.  It's so cold and windy today that we're staying inside. 


8 comments:

  1. Good grief I have 4 dresser drawers full of 1930's reproduction fabrics. It would take a lot of work to pare them down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous sunset! I like your HST border, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FUN! We have many red-tailed hawks here and they fly over our home/yard hunting. Our backyard is the base of a large canal and there are many old trees back there. Quail and squirrels can be lunch. Yesterday a bobcat walked by (and we are in city limits!).

    Love the shoo-fly quilt and oh bestill my heart the triangle border finishes it perfectly.

    And you polish off the post with an amazing sunset. What a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy dance you got your car back...and i love the shoo fly...the sunset sooo pretty...cold here finally...no flakes tho

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on finishing up that lovely quilt top, Nann! You've done a really good job of sewing through your 30's stash. What a fabulous pre-sunset photo you captured!! (The Joyful Quilter @ work.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great hawk photo and good border on your newest quilt. What a good feeling to use up some of our old fabrics and these look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.