Sunday, November 14, 2021

Weekly update: it's a flimsy + next project + reading






Earlier in the week we enjoyed lunch with longtime friends Ann and John.  How longtime?  Ann and Stevens were kindergarten classmates in 1945.  We reconnected via Rotary and P.E.O. a couple of years ago

We came out of the eye doctor's office on Friday afternoon to find that this happened to my car.  No, there were no security cameras on that block and, no, the other guy did not leave a note.  Fortunately the car is driveable.  The claim has been filed and the local body shop (three blocks away) will do the work. 







Saturday evening we drove his car to Waukegan High School for the first Lake County Community Concert Assn. performance since early 2020.  Alternate rows in the school auditoriium were taped off and social distancing was no problem.    Yang and Olivia were outstanding!  And it was nice to see friends who are fellow LCCCA patrons. 


# # # # # # #






In the studio:  it's a flimsy!  Incense and Peppermints?? . 







 




 


I've pieced seven more daisy-print mug rugs for an ongoing P.E.O. project. 

# # # # # # #




I finished just one book this week. It was excellent.

Home economics as an academic discipline began in the late 19th century.  It was a way for women interested in science, math, and statistics to conduct rigorous and meaningful research at a time that they were largely forbidden to pursue those fields alongside men.

 Among the founders of the American Home Economics Assn. were Ellen Swallow Richards, MIT graduate and co-founder of the Association of Collegiate Alumnae which later became AAUW, and Annie Dewey, wife of Melvil Dewey (of library science renown).  

Home economics expanded beyond academe to government (dietetics; USDA Extension; national standards for clothing and household goods and activities; child development) and industry (food processing, utility companies, and appliance manufacturers) and to education. In recent decades the profession has floundered, not because its expertise is any less relevant or valuable but because women's horizons in science and business have expanded. Schools have been pressured to eliminate electives considered vocational rather than academic though all students can benefit from "life skills" courses.

Danielle Dreilinger's history is informative, readable, and entertaining. I regret that I have not valued home economics more throughout the years.  

# # # # # #
Linking up with Oh Scrap!    Monday Making    Design Wall Monday

P.S.  I do not recall ever seeing a praying mantis (except in pictures). This week I saw two!


This was on the wall at church. (How a propos.)











This was on the dining room window.


 

10 comments:

  1. perfect title for the quilt...so festive too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post! Thank you for sharing.
    I've seen praying mantis before they are fun to watch.
    I loved my home ec classes and my home ec teacher was my hero!
    I must read that book.
    Your projects are beautiful, I'll be back to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Praying Mantis, they are such beneficial insects, how funny to see one at church!!! I adore your Incense and Peppermints quilt top! I'm going to have that song going through my head for the rest of the day! It is a real bummer about your car though--GRRRR! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a great week, except for the bumper booboo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incense and Peppermint looks great. Sorry about your car. The good news is you have another one so life won’t be turned upside down too badly. Hope you get lots done this week. I’ll be adding that book to my list of want to reads. Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how that peppermint quilt turned out. So pretty!

    My college career began as a Home Economics major - with my favorite being on the fiber/clothing construction side. I had hoped to become a Home Ec teacher. However, all of the upper level chemistry courses scared me off, and I changed my major as a sophomore. I still became a teacher, but not Home Ec.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incense and Peppermint. Fun!
    Kindergarten friends? Wow.
    Car. Ugh, we just had damage to ours when we took it in for a service recall. Thank goodness the Toyota dealer's insurance paid for it. Repairs aren't cheap!

    I never did have any home ec courses in HS or college.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, thanks for your comment on my blog! I like your quilt shown in this one. The grey blocks do almost an illusion when they are on point, and now I have to try that. I'm doing a lot of stash-busting and wonder if this would work in various colors in the pinwheels. Mmmm, you have my brain humming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incense and Peppermints is a great flimsy. . .I'm partial to HSTs and red!! Thanks for the comment to my blog and thank you for the book recommendation. I've added it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful to be able to go to a concert! We're not feeling that comfortable yet.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.