Monday, October 4, 2021

Weekly update: class reunion, quilt show, a finish, and reading

 The Glenbrook North High School Class of 1970 had not-quite a reunion on Saturday evening.  Early in 2020 we began planning.    Committee members (of which I'm one) tracked down classmates to get phone numbers and email addresses.  We created a Facebook group and used an online class reunion site to try to reach everyone we could.   In July, 2020, we realized that the pandemic wasn't going to be over by October so we cancelled the event. We began 2021 with the hope we could pull off a "Fifty Plus One" reunion for October, 2021.   Evites went out and reservations were made.  But people were hesitant -- the pandemic still hasn't gone away, we're senior citizens (a vulnerable group). We cancelled the big weekend (wine tasting, golf, school tour, and the dinner party).  Some had made travel plans and others were confident of their vaccinations.  So, we had a mini-dry-run-reunion this Saturday.  There were 26 classmates (if my photo count is correct) and 10 spouses. The weather was mild and we enjoyed drinks and heavy hors d'oeuvres outside.              [I am on the left in the second row.]

This was either brilliant or incredibly foolish -- no masks, hugs, and close proximity.   We are going to reboot the big event for next summer -- outdoors -- "The Class of 70 turns 70." 

# # # # # # #




There were many beautiful quilts on display at the Village Quilters biennial show.  Irene and I went on Friday afternoon.  

(I have info about each quilt and the maker's name if you are interested.)



Three quilts from a workshop with Weeks Ringle.  (I really like this idea for "can't cut this" fabrics.)

From a improv workshop with Cindy Grisdela. 





There was a Quilts of Valor presentation during the show, but not when we were there.  QOV had an section of the exhibit (no photos, sorry) and a booth. They had donated fabric not suitable for QOV--put a contribution in the jar and take some. And I did! 


QOV goodies at the top.  A little stash enhancement at the bottom. 


# # # # # # #






In the studio: 


I can boast of a finish for the month!  I made the flimsy earlier this year.  


The back uses a batik tablecloth and part of a batik sarong.   They were thrift shop or rummage sale finds. I am convinced that people buy these as souvenirs, or receive the as gifts, and never use them.


# # # # # #

This week's reading: 


Fox came to visit Catherine Raven's rural Montana cabin every afternoon. Raven, a biologist, knew better than to make him a pet. Her observations of his behavior -- hunting, denning, playing, and raising four kits with his mate -- are interspersed with her memoir (park ranger to grad student to professor). The story seems to zig and zag, rather like the movements of a fox. It is not sentimental but neither is it hard-edged.


A hand-written list with the titles of eight books flutters from a shelf in a branch library near London. Teenaged library assistant Aleisha  finds the list.  (She's not much of a reader; she's only taken the summer job to get out of the house and away from her severely depressed mother.)    Mukesh Patel, an 80-year-old widower, is tentatively venturing out of his house.  (His late wife was a great reader and patron of that library).  Perhaps if he finds a good book he'll have something to talk about with his bookworm granddaughter. He asks Aleisha for a recommendation and she helps him check out the first book on the list: To Kill a Mockingbird.  She realizes she should read it, too, so they can both talk about it. 

That leads to Rebecca, The Kite Runner, Life of Pi, Pride and Prejudice, Little Women, Beloved, and A Suitable Boy -- certainly an eclectic assortment. Mukesh and Aleisha pick up on different threads in each book. In their weekly conversations they get to know one another and so it is that Mukesh and his family (his three daughters and Priya) can help Aleisha and her family through a devastating time.

"Priya was reading a book he knew all about. He knew the world Priya was in right now. There was something magical in that--in sharing a world you have loved, allowing someone to see it through the same pair of spectacles you saw it through yourself." (281)

"Please try to remember that books aren't always an escape; sometimes books teach us thigs. They *show* us the world; they don't hide it." (319)

"She thought about the journey the books had taken her on, the places they had transported her to...Through the reading list's characters she'd experienced injustice...guild...terror and unease....resilience...the power of hope, faith, and community...." (361)

 This is a lovely, moving tribute to the power of books to transform lives.


 # # # # # # 
Linking up with Design Wall Monday Monday Making Oh Scrap!    


P.S.  Virginia creeper at Sand Pond on Sunday afternoon. 


9 comments:

  1. My class of “72 had a reunion finally in 2019 - 47 years. We hadn’t had a reunion since our 20th in 1992. Since I live so far away and my parents have been gone for 30 years, I haven’t had many visits back to my hometown in recent years. But that reunion was fun. I’m hoping by 2022 life is back to normal and everyone can feel safe getting together.

    wonderful quilty photos!! Our guild has a show in 2 weeks and I look forward to seeing what folks bring to show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post today is full of so much good stuff that I hardly know where to start! Your high school reunion looks like fun. Our 50th would be next year, but our school’s online group covers the grad years of ‘72 to ‘75 (we were a small school), and I’m just not into it. I’ve stayed in touch with close friends. The quilt show pictures were great! I’ve seen that Weeks Ringleader quilt idea (or variations thereof) before and love it too. I’m sure a version of that is in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a wonderful weekend! Hopefully all remain healthy. We can’t just never hug another person for the rest of our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meeting friends with fun and food sounds like a perfect way to spend a weekend. Add in the bright colors of a quilt show and life couldn't be better. Cindy Grisdela is in my Quilt Guild, but I have not met her in person. I think of International Sisters when I come across "Can't cut this fabric" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aha! You graduated the same year I did! I'm not a reunion person, though. I doubt anyone would find me either since I don't do much on the internet and no one knows my married surname. (You know I'm a hermit!)

    I used a lot of my can't cut big prints in my BIG Print series this year. I used a block from Quilter's Cache and I like how the tops have turned out.

    Virginia Creeper looks nice in the Autumn, I guess. I pull it out whenever I see it or it would strangle everything in sight. I had to laugh one year when I saw pots of it for sale a few years ago at a gardening spot at a grocery store.

    Oh, if only more people would read books instead of headlines and texts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty and bright quilts at the show. My brother received a sarong as a "parting gift" when he finished his assignment in Indonesia (his post-retirement employment) and he "wondered" if I'd be interested in it. Not only interested, but I may be able to wear it on an Indonesian cruise if I stay healthy another year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that crumb quilt with the brown sashings, Nann. The brown so softens all the colors of the crumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just want to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. You are such an inspiration to me. I admire all the things you do outside with nature, your organizations, and your book summaries and your quilting. I have read one of your recommendations recently; the title escapes me. And I am using your layout of bitcoin. I purchased the needed fabric for the solid rows yesterday. THANK YOU for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A reunion, a quilt show, AND a finish, Nann? Sounds like a great week!!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.