Sunday, September 19, 2021

Weekly update: wildflowers, golf, and a wedding

 


The last week of summer has been sunny, warm, and dry.  

Top center: closeup of goldenrod florets; middle center: liatris with a bumblebee; right center: aster; lower right: another aster.  Lower left:  thistledown! 





Fringed gentian are blooming now.  Look closely at the petals to see the fringes.  What a beautiful color!

# # # # # # 



The 21st Annual Jack McElmurry Golf Outing was Friday.   We used to have the event in May when it was likely to be chilly. The pandemic pushed the 2020 outing to September.  The change worked well both years and we're going to stick with it. 


We are 'major sponsors' which means we have a golf foursome -- Ben and Gabe from the library, Tom who used to work at the library, and Ben's dad. They have a great time every year. 




Stevens gave the invocation.  (He did not turn water into wine; the wine was already there.)

















Harriet created elaborate and beautiful gift baskets.  I won this one -- filled with flavored coffee and coffee treats. 

# # # # # # # #




Our friend Marilyn married Mike on Saturday afternoon.  The event was at a Kenosha restaurant.  (I was a little nervous about social distancing and so many strangers.  Hope that the vaccines will keep us all healthy.)   


We haven't been this dressed up in ages!  











Looks gray but it is blue!
Speaking of weddings --  I bought a step-grandmother-of-the-bride dress on Wednesday afternoon.  I 'd looked online. It's one thing to buy a flannel shirt without trying it on and something else to get a special-occasion dress. I debated asking a friend to come along but deciding which friend and then scheduling time for a shopping trip was just too complicated.  I went to J.C. Penney and Macy's and bought two possibilities (better to get them while they were there), tried Nordstrom Rack and TJMaxx because you never know.  Then in the shopping center on the other intersection I saw David's Bridals.  Why not? They had the best customer service and best selection -- and I found the perfect dress.  It's light blue, a  different color than what the other 'senior' women are wearing (stepdaughter is wearing champagne and her mother is wearing deep plum--don't know about bride's stepmother or groom's mother but I don't know them).    I don't have to alter it other than hem it.  I think I can still sew a hem .. .  This coming week I will shop for shoes. 
 

Next post:  quilt rescue!


2 comments:

  1. You shopped well. Dressing as a family member is so daunting, not wanting to outshine the others yet not wanting to be the dowdy old grandma either. PS: Alex is a Rotarian, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like the perfect dress. I haven’t had to shop for a fancy outfit since my daughter’s wedding in 2009. I had bought a black silk skirt and a beaded top, but the day before the wedding I stumbled on the perfect red and black brocade jacket - and never did wear the beaded one. It was a Christmas wedding and the red was so much prettier.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.