Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Midweek: Christmas baskets flimsy!



Zinnias for Zion is an annual initiative in the community that encourages people to plant zinnias.  They represent beauty in diversity (and hardiness, considering the drought we've had this summer).   This photo was taken at the entrance to the library yesterday.  







 
In the studio:  the Christmas baskets quilt is a flimsy!  I had just enough of the green/red plaid print for the border.  (It's the same print I used for  last year's AAUW Christmas quilt.  There are only scraps left now.) 

69 x 69. 6 yards by weight. 

The blocks are 8x8 finished. They were rather tricky to make. The HSTs in the handles were 1-5/8" unfinished. I chose to cut large (2" squares) and trim down.  I had to mark the 1-5/8" lines on the ruler to be sure I didn't over- or under-trim.


 I adapted a pattern by Avis Shirer in American Patchwork & Quilting.   The very strong diagonal effect of this setting makes me want to tilt my head (or turn the photo).  I think the straight set I chose will be easier on the eyes!

Linking up on Susan's blog at Midweek Makers

7 comments:

  1. i agree...love the on point setting and oh that plaid border....beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zinnia's remind me of my mom, she always planted them. Your setting of the baskets is way better;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The onpoint baskets are much more pleasing! It's a LOVELY quilt! Well done you for adapting it so well! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always like on point settings but they are more work. Congratulations to you on this lovely top and on using all of the border fabric. Always a celebration to move yardage along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great on point - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you. I have never liked a basket block set square.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The basket quilt is beautiful and I love the plaid border! So glad you had enough. The on point setting is way better. I can tolerate a tilted basket in a sampler but when it’s featured it needs to be vertical! I love the zinnias and their riotous colors.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.