Sunday, August 15, 2021

Weekly update: it's a flimsy!

 (NOTE:  wildflowers and book reviews are in the preceding post.)



(c) Robin Pickens
Our granddaughter is getting married at the end of October.  I asked for her (their) color preferences for a quilt and she promptly responded, "Blue and green."  I was despairing of finding the ideal pattern when Ramona posted a picture of her version of Emilia, a pattern by Robin Pickens.  I tried to figure out the design but the borders were tricky, so I bought the digital pattern here).   
The changes began immediately.  The pattern uses 9" blocks. I made one that size and decided it was  too big. I made 6" blocks instead.  I set them in 4's with a different sashes (same fabric for each group of four but different from group to group). There are center cornerstones are green for the blue groups and blue for the green groups.  
If you followed my posts the past month you know I did a lot of stitching, ripping, and re-stitching when I changed the sashes between the groups. "Design twice, sew once" is my new corollary to the more familiar "measure twice, cut once."
I kept Pickens' idea for the borders but I used more triangles to make the block the same size as the blocks in the quilt center.  I began with all-the-same light but changed that to a variety of lights.  

And, finally!  The top is finished.  It's 84 x 84. Barb-the-quilter has it on her calendar for September 1.  
But, wait, there's more!  Here's the back.  The top fabric is a thrift-shop sheet, Ralph Lauren brand.  
  The top used 9-1/2 yards and the back used 8 yards.

I have  leftovers to play with. 
And....two other projects are in the works. You'll need to tune in later in the week to see them.     P.S.  Ramona's made another quilt using the pattern.  See it here      (Hmmm.....maybe this will be the design for the AAUW holiday quilt I have yet to begin!)
Linking up with Oh Scrap!   Monday Making    Design Wall Monday

12 comments:

  1. So many triangles!!! A million points to preserve and agonize over!!! Such a labor-intensive quilt. Nan, I am so impressed. It is gorgeous. I am sure that your granddaughter will love and cherish it forever.
    P.S. Tha back is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous, changes and all! Definitely worth the effort and GD will treasure it because it was made by Nann.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your version is gorgeous, Nann. I love how you added more triangles to the border to balance the design of the larger quilt. It's a beautiful wedding quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nann, this is a true heirloom quilt! Congratulations. The grey border serves to enhance the pattern. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. all the extra ripping and reworking paid off...it is beautiful...they will be over the moon...very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's gorgeous!! I'm sure the newlyweds will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's going to be a spectacular gift, Nann!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This beautiful quilt will be treasured and used all their lives. Beautiful colors, great design. Thanks for sharing the changes you made. Pieced. Asks are such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is gorgeous! I love the colour play and how the design continues in the borders!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of ripping out but, oh this quilt is so worth it! You have another winner for sure!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.